Comments on Exxon Valdez Oil Spill Dilemma

I agree to some extent with my classmate Cam Davis’s argument in his post: Exxon Valdez Oil Spill ::: An Ethical Dilemma.  After Exxon Valdez crashed in 1989, spilling 53 million gallons of oil in the Prince William Sound, many people demanded that some sort of compensation be paid for the damage it caused. It’s owner, exxon mobil, later decided to pay roughly 2 billion dollars to clean up the spill. Cam argues that no amount of money will account for the damages caused by the crash, saying ” you can’t put a price on an ecosystem.”

In my opinion, it is true that no matter how much cash Exxon Mobil pays to make up for the spill, their is will always be a certain amount of permanent damage; For example, deaths of wildlife or severe contamination of eco-system. On the other hand, we must understand that their is no possible way for them to account for permanent damage, and Exxon mobil has paid a large sum to refine Prince William Sound. Although the spill has inflicted some everlasting damage to the environment and wildlife, Exxon Mobil has done enough to make up for it.