I really enjoyed reading the Anderson article for this week as it revealed some poignant information. Having little experience myself with online learning, it was interesting to get Anderson’s take on the matter. As well, I think that the article has provided me with some good insight in how I might structure my own online learning environment in the future to provide for a better online learning experience.

Like I had previously stated, my experience with online learning has been limited to only the courses that I have taken within the MET program. Looking back at these courses, I am confident that each and every one of them followed what Bransford, Brown, and Cocking believe provides an effective learning environment which they call the “attributes of learning” (learner centred, knowledge centred, assessment centred and community centred).  The one area that perhaps some of these courses could improve is with assessment. While Anderson argues that an online learning environment provides ample opportunity for assessment, within the MET program there have times when I desperately needed more assessment from the instructor. In one course the assessment didn’t come until I was given my final grade. This was obviously a situation which was rather stressful as throughout my MET journey, I have sometimes doubted my abilities to be successful.  I feel that if a learning environment such as an online or mixed mode course is to be successful, that all the attributes of learning need to be in place. This includes an online environment where students feel comfortable and competent. As Anderson states, “…the effective online teacher is constantly probing for learner comfort and competence with the intervening technology, and providing safe environments for learners to increase their sense of Internet efficacy” (Anderson, pg. 4).  I will say, however, that collaboration amongst my peers has always been high in all of the online courses I have taken which has fostered peer assessment. Perhaps this is the constructivist way?

How I might use the learning technology tools to help create meaningful interactions is through the use of video blogs. I have always had an immense interest in using video in an educational environment. With my grade 7 class a few years ago, I began experimenting with having the students create video blogs about themselves to share with the rest of the students. The students would follow the criteria to create a video blog, and then they would proceed to respond to other students’ video blogs. I feel that this type of meaningful interaction provides the students with a collaborative activity that assists them with knowledge construction. Perhaps in the future, I will use video blogging for a social studies or science unit to help students share in ideas.