I Smell Shared Value Creation!…and Burritos!

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-10-22/at-red-hot-chipotle-sustainable-ingredients-are-the-marketing

Chipotle Mexican Grill was one of the first fast food chains that I hadn’t recognized or been familiar with back in Ontario when I came to Vancouver. I tried it, immediately fell in love with the product. I’m most definitely a fan of mexican food and when I can get it on the go even better. But at the same time I haven’t stepped into a Taco Bell in years because by my standards that isn’t Mexican food and perhaps not even food at all! I’m only kidding but, on a more serious note the fact that Chipotle’s focuses on sourcing as much of it’s ingredients as possible from organic, local and sustainable sources definitely had a huge positive impact on my image of the brand and the food tasted much healthier than Taco Bell or some other mexican fast food chains. In the article it states that, “in March, the company became the first U.S. chain to label and push to eliminate its genetically engineered ingredients. That’s why Chipotle has created marketing messages that most fast-food brands would view with horror.” This strategy of focusing on where they get their ingredients and food from, as opposed to what it is, has allowed them to operate in an extremely ethical manner for their industry. It also allows them to differentiate themselves and market their product, cutting certain marketing and store costs while also selling a quality product to consumers that benefits the local economy and community. This is an awesome example of a company creating shared value and not just focusing on corporate social responsibility efforts.