The Problem With “Mixed” Mathematics

Standard
"1/4 Black"

“1/4 Black”

This week I got into an argument with a mono-racial friend of mine. Just your run of the mill semantic’s battle.  How is it possible that what is being said is less harmful than what is not being said?

Until recently, I identified as mixed person. What “mixed” also says is, that I am a product of two pure beings, therefore I am not pure. That frustrates me. We have boxes and binaries in our society, that I believe no one person can truly fill. Why is it, when I  first meet someone, there first instinct is to categorize me.

Identifying mixed-race people for the untrained eye is often akin to meeting an alien. Why then, when you get to know me, do I become “too this and too that” (17 Struggles Of Being Mixed-Race).

Oddly Enough, “Racial Mathematics” don’t follow the rules of addition. ½ < 1 but I am not less than*knock knock* *whose there* please stop calling me half this half that. It is not like my left side is black and my right side is white  — I am as white as I am black and as black as I am white … all at the same time! My dad is fully white and my mom is fully black, so doesn’t it make sense, that I am fully both?  

Cornell and Seely seem to think that our “desires and fantasies come to us from the place of the “other”, rather than our own conscious ego”, even our “uniqueness resides in our fantasy”. I think this is mostly true. Often, I know more about myself,  by knowing what I am not. Your uniqueness resides in the fact, that You are different than Me. You view the world from a different context than I do. So aren’t we all little bit “Other”?

As if white women are the only people on this earth, allowed to love Pumpkin Spice Lattes! I actually don’t drink coffee but Google told me, it was the most most common “white women stereotype”. I apologize for having to say it, just to prove my point. Are we not toddlers, trying to force a triangle block in to the circle spot? Wouldn’t it better if just got rid of the boxes we don’t clearly fit into?

Cornell, D., and S. D. Seely. “There’s Nothing Revolutionary about a Blowjob.” Social Text (2014): 1-23. Print.

“17 Struggles Of Being Mixed-Race.” Thought Catalog. The Thought & Expression Co., 15 Oct. 2014. Web. 17 Oct. 2015.