(just not the ignorant ones)

Standard

I asked my roommates what they thought the contemporary purpose of Rap and Hip-Hop was. What does not surprise me, is what most of us missed, (the most important part) the sociopolitical side …

Katy thinks it is a creative platform, Sarah said it is a space to sing against “The Man” and Christine knew it to be a social commentary, especially where racism and inequality is concerned.

Christine goes on to mention that artists like Eminem, Macklemore and Iggy Azalea are also part of the Rap and Hip-Hop culture (then she cautioned me especially around Iggy), So I googled …

“Hip hop was birthed out of the civil rights movement.” This is a culture that came from pain and oppression. It was the byproduct [of white oppression] (Newman).

If anyone bothers to read between the headlines or just takes on board anything Minaj says, we would see that the focus on personal “beefs” is an unhelpful diversion. Minaj is political, and wants to talk seriously about racism (Moore).

It turns out many people in the hip-hop community feel that Azalea is actively working against black interests because she appropriates traditionally black styles and totally divorces them from their political content (Barnes).

My search revealed that Iggy’s light skin is not the problem, but her ignorance is…

• She ignored the history of the genre she claims to be apart of,
  • She failed to see where her voice fits within that history and culture,
  • Out of her ignorance, she undermines’ voices that are speaking out against injustice, social issues (especially racial ones) that have fought for so long to be noticed and heard.

I have some inner angst, against the idea that only dark-skinned people can be apart of the Rap and Hip-Hop Culture. Telling a White, Blonde, Australian Woman, she can’t be apart of the Rap and Hip-Hop culture, sounds a lot like racism. How can we end racism if we still continue to use it?

The origins of Rap and Hip-Hop are important! They should never be forgotten and especially the should not be ignored … but Rap and Hip-Hop is more than just its origins. If it is to continue to be a space that speaks against all spheres of social injustice then it needs to include all spheres of speakers (just not the ignorant ones).

Barnes, T. (2014, December 22). Hip-Hop’s Huge Problem With Iggy Azalea Just Blew Up – And She Completely Deserves It. Retrieved November 24, 2015, from http://mic.com/articles/107012/hip-hop-s-huge-problem-with-iggy-azalea-just-blew-up-and-she-completely-deserves-it#.DjD5dkGpn

Moore, S. (2015, August 31). Nicki Minaj has something serious to say about race. We should listen to her. Retrieved November 24, 2015, from http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/aug/31/nicki-minaj-confront-racism-catfight

Newman, J. (2014, December 30). Macklemore Talks Race, White Privilege and ‘Thrift Shop’ Backlash. Retrieved November 24, 2015, from http://www.rollingstone.com/music/videos/macklemore-race-white-privilege-thrift-shop-backlash-interview-20141230

White, Theresa, and Theresa Renee White. Journal of Black Studies: Missy “Misdemeanor” Elliott and Nicki Minaj: Fashionistin’ Black Female Sexuality in Hip-Hop Culture – Girl Power Or Overpowered?. 44 Vol. Sage Publications, 09/01/2013. Web. 15 Sep. 2015.