Monty penguin enjoyed great popularity

Monty penguin

Monty penguin

John Lewis has released its Christmas advertisement called ‘MONTY’S CHRISTMAS’ recently. From this advertisement, we know that it is a sweet story about a boy and his penguin buddy ‘Monty’. The boy helped Monty find something that he loses, which is, love.

From the article here, we know that after this video going live, all the Monty dolls (which cost $150) and other penguin-branded pillows, mugs and scarves were sold out online within several hours.

I think the reason why Monty is so successful is because it has point of difference compared to other brands. Most brands offer discount and other free gifts to customers during Christmas. But John Lewis creates an adorable character and uses a touching story to indicate the importance for people to communicate with their friends and family in holidays.

Besides, I think this Christmas advertisement also makes the company’s value proposition better, as the story provides not only the cute Monty but also a positive emotion to customers. Last but not least, I think there will be more people willing to buy Monty dolls, as the customer segment is mainly children and women.