1:5 – The story of how evil comes to the world

“Stories are wondrous things. And they are dangerous”-Thomas King

Fire

How does evil come into the world? The first thing I thought about was children. I’m sure everyone has heard many stories throughout their life. Even from the very beginning, in our diapers, our parents or grandparents has told us stories. Stories that include fairy tales, myths, and much more. Each story is unique in which every time it is told, the story is presented differently. Just like this week’s text  The Truth About Stories, “sometimes it changes in the details” or the sequence of events (Thomas King 1). When i was forming my story for this week, I realized how difficult it can be to create a story. I thought for a long time about it, hoping to come up with some spectacular or different story. However, in the end, I thought why not tell a story that perhaps we might have heard about but adding a twist to it. Hope you enjoy! ( down below is my story).

Storytelling in The Woods

On one hot summer afternoon, a bright yellow school bus arrives in front of  Tupper Elementary School. Children rushed out of their seats grabbing their sleeping bags and fluffy pillow and ran out the doors. The teacher starts counting each of their heads and not too long, the adventure begins.

After a few hours, a big wooden sign appears in front of the bus that says ” Welcome to Camp Sunrise! “. There was a beautiful lake in the middle and vibrant green trees surrounding the site. People can hear birds chirping and feel the crisp wind brushing on their faces. The children unpacked their bags and found their own cozy spot in the cabins. Let’s give some of the children some names. There was Alice, John, Tim, and Lucy. And of course the teacher should have a name as well and her name was Ms.Brown.

By the time they finished settling down, the sun disappeared and Ms.Brown decided to make a campfire. Children love campfires. It is where the magic happens. Stories gets unfolded. What makes a good campfire are the stories and there are actually some tips for telling a good campfire story too! Roasting marshmallows on a stick, Alice tugs on Ms.brown’s sweater and asked her, “Ms.Brown, can you tell us a story?” And she responds ” Well, there are a lot of stories, but ahh yes there is one that i can share!”

It is the story about how evil comes to the world. There was a myth that there was this forest trail and no one really dares to go inside. People say that if you do, bad things might happen. Perhaps, this is the reason how evil breaks into our world.

And, there was a group of young kids just like you guys. They were hanging out one day and decides to explore outside. Before they know it, they arrived inside a forest that was full of flurry animals. There were all sorts of animals, ranging from reindeers to birds and even rabbits. The children loved animals. They would play games with them and feed them some snacks. So far, it sounds like an wonderful day right? But one day, a rabbit starts to talk to them in English. The children were shocked and fascinated, looking at that rabbit with their jaws hanging down.

“Wow! You can talk? How do you know how to speak?” asked the children
“Well, you can say that I’m special I guess” said the rabbit
” Where do you live?”
” Just over there. Come, follow me. I can show you”

By this point, I bet you can guess what happens next. They follow the rabbit and the children…

John and Alice and the rest of them screams and ask Ms.Brown to pause the story. But “once you have told a story, you can never take it back. So, be careful of the stories you tell, AND the stories you listen to”

Work Cited

Coulter, Philip. “The Truth About Stories” A Native Narrative . Web. 1 Feb. 2016. <http://cislit.weebly.com/uploads/2/6/1/1/26116552/the_truth_about_stories_by_thomas_king.pdf>.

Love the Outdoors Camping & Campground. “Tips for Telling a Good Campfire Story” Camping ideas.N.p., 19 Dec. 2010. Web. 1 Feb. 2016. <http://www.lovetheoutdoors.com/tips-for-telling-a-good-campfire-story/>.

8 Thoughts.

1. Hi Karen,

I enjoyed reading your story. It reminded me of my childhood memories of telling ghost stories around the campfire. The stories you learn as a kid really do stay with you forever, and I like how you mixed childhood innocence with the story of how evil came into the world. Like King says “once you tell a story you can never take it back”, but I would also say that once you hear a story you can never forget it. I definitely still remember the horror stories we use to tell around the campfire.

Thanks again for the great story!

Nicole

• Hi Nicole,

Thanks for the postive feedback! Yes, I totally agree with you. When I was thinking about childhood, I remember I use to watch a TV Show that features children listenign to ghost stories during a campfire. Another one is when I use to sleepover at my cousin’s place and we would all gather around at night in our sleeping bags and a flashlight haha. This assignment was really fun, though storytelling is not my strength. I tried to write in a children story approach.

But thanks again!

Karen

2. Hi Karen,

Thanks for the great link on tips for telling campfire stories. I think that we all love a great story told by the camp fire – the scarier the better. It is interesting, in the previous lessons we read in Chamberlin about the distinctions made between (primarily) oral and written cultures. It pointed out the European world’s use of oral tradition in church ceremonies and such, but did not point out our love of the camp fire story, the ghost story, or the big (fish) catch story. Hmmmm, I feel a thesis coming…. not really. I will be sure to mention your name when I tell your story at the lake this summer!

3. Hi Karen,

Great story! I really liked how you incorporated it around a campfire. I always find that telling scary stories over a campfire is very fitting and a great way to put a twist on the original story! I liked the alluding to the story of Alice in Wonderland as well – really well done! Have you written many stories before?

Courtney

• Hi Courtney,

Thanks for your positive feedback! I have taken one creative writing course at UBC but that was back in first year so I actually haven’t written stories in a really long while. However, I really enjoyed this assignment.

Karen

4. Hi Karen,

Great story! Your story and mention of fairy tales lead me to think about Alice and her adventures in Wonderland. Fairy tales often have an element of evil and that got me thinking about why that is. There are so many classics that, once revisited, I realize are full of evil and sexuality and deception and all sorts of underlying meaning that the child reader would likely not have picked up on.

• Hi Alex!

Thank you! Another classmate also mentioned about Alice and Wonderland as well haha. I actually didn’t notice that there was a strong connection to that. And yes, it is interesting when looking back at these stories because we have the tendency to view these stories in our own current knowledge and experiences.

Karen