3:2 – Is Canada a ‘multicultural’ place?

2] In this lesson I say that it should be clear that the discourse on nationalism is also about ethnicity and ideologies of “race.” If you trace the historical overview of nationalism in Canada in the CanLit guide, you will find many examples of state legislation and policies that excluded and discriminated against certain peoples based on ideas about racial inferiority and capacities to assimilate. – and in turn, state legislation and policies that worked to try to rectify early policies of exclusion and racial discrimination. As the guide points out, the nation is an imagined community, whereas the state is a “governed group of people.” For this blog assignment, I would like you to research and summarize one of the state or governing activities, such as The Royal Proclamation 1763, the Indian Act 1876, Immigration Act 1910, or the Multiculturalism Act 1989 – you choose the legislation or policy or commission you find most interesting. Write a blog about your findings and in your conclusion comment on whether or not your findings support Coleman’s argument about the project of white civility.

Does Canada actually reflect multiculturalism? Many people may often hear that Canada is a country that embraces multiculturalism. However, when thinking about examples of state legislations or polices, perhaps there are certain aspects such as distinctive groups that are discriminated and excluded based on these regulations. Firstly, let’multiculturalnights unpack and discuss about the idea of ‘multiculturalism’!

What is ‘multiculturalism’? I think the first thing that may come to mind would be relating to diversity of cultures and how each culture has their own set of values, traditions, customary behaviours, and the list goes on. I find the Multiculturalism Act 1989 most interesting because personally I always hear my friends or even classmates from other courses always have this assumption that Canada is categorized as being a place that celebrates this idea of ‘multiculturalism’? Also, I am born and raised in Canada and I personally feel that even when growing up in this country, institutions such as public schools naturally integrates this perception. This also made me realize that I do not often think too critically on this idea. Perhaps, many have often hear about this but do not examine further of how Canada became to be or is associated with this idea of ‘multiculturalism’. Also, when I was first initially researching for this, I began reading some articles such as John Berry’s research on multiculturalism in Canada. It’s a quick read! But, in summary, Berry discusses how the policy of multiculturalism proceeded and highlights the important purposes behind creating the policy. Canada first declared to adopt this multicultural policy in 1971. However,  this policy was not officially recognized and put into place until around 1988. He argues that there are two main goals of the policy which are to support for the maintenance and development of cultural communities (the cultural component); and promotion of intercultural contact along with the reduction of barriers to such participation the intercultural component” (Berry 663). This idea that he unfolds through his article suggests that ore of the meaning of multiculturalism lies the notion of individuals having and sharing a collective identity as Canadians, and who also have particular identities as members of various ethnocultural communities” (Berry 664). This part in his text reveals how it is also important for one to understand their own culture and to be active in building relations with others. This idea of emphasizing building relations among diverse culture is interesting because this policy attempts to respect and celebrate diversity but some claim that it was a failed promise. This article provides a glimpse of how there are certain aspects excluded and still problematic with this policy. Some of the issues they discuss include lack of integration between cultures and current systems with immigrants. Also, relating Coleman’s argument about the project of white civility, he discusses the idea of nation-building and how a ‘natural community’ seems to be unsuccessful. This made me think of an example within Canada  specifically on the idea of how certain places in Canada may not seem to be as well-intergrated as how people would imagine it to be. For instance, Quebec is a place known for people who often speak mainly French and visitors who do not speak it can be casted as being ‘different’ or out extremely fast. 

Now, do you think Canada is a ‘multicultural’ place?

Work Cited

Berry, John W. “Research on Multiculturalism in Canada.” International Journal of Intercultural Relations 37.6 (2013): 663. Web.

http://www.thestar.com/opinion/editorialopinion/2010/11/07/persichilli_the_failed_promise_of_multiculturalism.html

8 Thoughts.

1. Hey Karen!

I’m glad I found another blog who tackled the same question I did, but approached it by studying a different act! I find it interesting that Canada declared their adoption of the multicultural policy in 1971, but it was only a whole seventeen/eighteen years later that they officially recognized a Multiculturalism Act. What do you think about this gap? To me, it conveys the government’s desire to create the illusion—a ‘wonderful’ illusion—of multiculturalism for its people, potential and realized immigrants and for other governments of the world. The government seems to be creating a narrative for themselves preemptively before carving it in stone, imagining prematurely an ideal that would not be fully realized even with the official introduction of the Multiculturalism Act of 1989. Such a hasty act of declaration seems to convey a selfishness on the part of the government. Rather than for the minority groups of Canada, the government declared their multicultural qualities for the sake of themselves. To look good. And yes, Canada enjoys a better reputation than most other countries even today. In the modern day, we often gloss over Canadian horrors such as the Japanese internment camps and the cultural genocide of the Indigenous people, etc., by touting ourselves as fantastically multicultural. However, lauding the country so blindly means ignoring those same tragedies and dark spots in Canadian history.

It’s an illusion or at least, partly. Canada certainly enjoys a wide variety of ethnic groups, diasporas, etc. We have access to a wonderful array of cultural communities that colour cities like Vancouver with new perspectives, sights and ideas. However, your link to Persichilli’s article is intriguing. This particular line stood out to me: “For most of these people, Canada is not their country, it’s a life insurance policy, a place to rush to when in need of medical services or secure shelter.” If this is the case, then can we really say Canada is multicultural? I argue instead, that this quote exemplifies the fiction of building a nation. We may all live here, but we don’t necessarily believe in the same narrative our country has created and is continuing to create.

Thank you again!

• Hi Brendan!

Thanks your for long insightful post.. really appreciate it ! Yes, I agree that the gap that you are referring to does bring lots of questions in mind. I think sometimes even though a policy is created, it may not be in effect until later on. Like, it may take more time. Also, you do make a good point about Canada focusing on their image/reputation because I do feel like they center around this notion of ‘multicultural’ but neglect problematic issues that may be are hidden or ignored such a minorities. And, yes you made a great point about people not having the same narrative that our country as created.. and this leads me thinking who started this so called ‘narrative’? like how do people form narrative?

Thanks!
      Karen

2. Hi Karen,

Thank you for sharing your reflection on the term multiculturalism! I found the way you identified “the diversity of cultures” as the key element of multiculturalism (in the mainstream Canadian education anyways) interesting, and I do agree that there is a commonly accepted assumption that Canada is a nation that embraces multiculturalism. Your comment made me consider Canada’s internal and external reputation, and interestingly enough, I think Canada is thought of as a multicultural nation from both within and outside.

Thank you also for including Berry’s research as a part of this discussion. I also chose to research about and analyze the Multiculturalism Act, so his findings were quite enlightening! I’m curious to find out if his conclusion that the legislation is a “failed attempt” would have been different if he had encountered the most recent “Annual Report on the Operation of the Multiculturalism Act,” which was published in 2015, two years after Berry’s publication. According to the report, the two goals Berry identifies as those of the Multiculturalism Act ((1)providing support for the maintenance and development of cultural communities, and (2) promoting intercultural contact by reducing the barriers to such participation) “seem” to have been met. For instance, the report highlights how the project “Canada Economic Development for Quebec Regions” worked on improving the multilingual governmental service to small business owners and entrepreneurs in Quebec, and thereby “reducing the barriers” to participating in economic activities and developing cultural communities within the province. Do you think the findings in the 2014 report would change Berry’s conclusion? Does it change yours?

Thank you again for your blog entry!

• Hi Clara,

thanks for your insightful feedback/share! I really agree with you and its interesting because most of the comments from my blog raised up the question around Canada’s reputation and this got me thinking.. why we choose the word ‘reputation’ instead of other words such as identity or like image. But whenever I think of reputation, it kind of puts us in the mindset where we divide everything into ranks or classes. What do you think? And thanks for reading Berry’s text, I think it does give me some more idea and insight on what others may think about this. However, I think the idea of ‘multicultural’ country has changed over time and the way people perceive or conceptualize it is slightly different nowadays so I would say that Berry’s article does give perspective to this conversation and also raises questions about how narratives change over time.

3. Hi Karen,

Great blog post! I like that you chose to research the Multicultural Act because I feel like many Canadians do not look at it too critically. Like you said it is not something we think too much about in Canada cause we continually propagate that this is a country of multiculturalism even though our government policy and legislation might not reflect this.

Brendan makes a great point in his comment too about how Canada has mistreated minorities over and over again. Of course we can see this in the Genocide of First Nations people, but then there were the Japanese internment camps too (during both world wars). In the most recent years there is still legal battles between the government and First Nations people over land rights and this problem is never fully addresses. It is usually just swept under the rug as to not dampen Canada’s “multicultural image”.

I think that in everyday life Canada does a pretty good job at being multicultural especially here in Vancouver, but I think it’s policy need to catch up. What do you think Karen?

-Nicole

• Hi Nicole!

Thanks for your insight! Yes, I agree that many Canadians do not think about this concept critically. In my opinion, I tink here in Vancouver, I would say we do a pretty good job in terms of being multicultural. For example, there are many fusion foods and various shops that reflect different cultural style, taste, and so on. I definitely feel that people here in this city are open in meeting new people and learning about other cultures.

Karen

4. Hi Karen,

I think Canada is a very multicultural place and feel that new arrivals are able to integrate into this society. I think the inevitable comparison that arises when discussing Canada’s multiculturalism is to that with the United States. Both nations welcome newcomers from a diversity of nations but our policies on integration are rather different, especially since the 1988 Multiculturalism Act was introduced. The US, I would argue, has a unique culture, in which newcomers are expected to assimilate into. This is the ‘melting pot’ ideal that we often here about. People are expected to let go of their original traditions in order to become more American. In Canada, our culture is more of a patchwork, with arguably no specific Canadian culture. You’ll notice that I mention only newcomers when it comes to multiculturalism and that is because I feel that those who first inhabited this land are the ones who are often left out.

• Hi Alex,

Thanks for stopping by my blog and the feedback! Yes you made an interesting point in regards to Canada and USA. I guess when thinking about multiculural, some things are inevitable.