Blog Post 7: Response to Nodoka’s Post on Alumni Visit

AlumniUBC
(Photo Credit: UBC)

In response to Nodoka Hashimoto, her blog post regarding the alumni visit is very accurate in terms of how I felt about that class.

I completely agree with her thoughts, especially in the sense that we were able to see a part of the business model canvas in action. It wasn’t just reading and looking up things online, or hearing Paul and Jeff explain the concepts to us – this time, it consisted of real life examples telling us THEIR actual story.

Clearly, the course content of Comm 101 was linked to real careers. Seeing the Sauder alumni made me view the business model canvas in a different perspective. Their pitches reminded me to think outside the canvas and helped me realize that each section is applicable in real-life businesses. I noticed that heavily mentioned areas included value propositions, customer segments, and key activities.

I do believe, as well, that passion is one of the major criterion in becoming a successful entrepreneur. As long as one has passion, one can go as far as they want to. Along with perseverance, these qualities were demonstrated through the alumni’s pitches, from the tone of their voice to the convincing expressions on their face. Overall, I found Class 18 to be very inspirational and it made me contemplate a lot about my own future.