Learning & Reflections in ENGL 372: Canadian Studies

Assignment 1:1 – Welcome to my blog!

Welcome to my blog and to English 372! I am looking forward to virtually meeting and connecting with all of my classmates and my course instructor throughout this semester.

Who am I?
(Perhaps) unlike many of you, I’ve already completed my undergraduate degree. I graduated with my BSc – Integrated Sciences, Behavioural Genetics in May 2018. Ever since, I’ve been working full time at UBC for Geering Up Engineering Outreach. My work focuses on managing programs that engage teachers and schools in hands-on STEM learning experiences. Here is a video showcasing our land-based STEM programs we run with Indigenous communities:

A special part of working at UBC is being able to continue my learning by taking some undergraduate courses after graduation, which is what brings me to this course.

What do I anticipate learning in this course?
This course examines Canadian literature as it relates to the relationship between Indigenous and European (settler) literature and orature. As a science student, I have not taken an English course (much less one focusing on the analysis of literature) since a 100-level introductory course. As such, I have lots to learn! I am excited to be able to develop skills in critical textual and literary analysis, writing, and communication. I am particularly interested in developing these skills in the context of understanding the history of Indigenous and settler literature in Canada.

Why am I interested in this course subject matter?
My work is focused on working with the education system in BC. The public education system has traditionally had inequalities between Indigenous students and non-Indigenous students. In BC, 2018 high school graduation rates for non-Aboriginal students were 87% and 70% for Aboriginal students. The BC Ministry of Education, as a part of BC’s new curriculum, has introduced First People’s Principles of Learning into almost all parts of the curriculum, for example, into the science curriculum – ‘Science First Peoples’ teacher resource guide for grades 5 to 9. This significant shift, along with projects such as the Equity in Action project, will, I believe, have positive effects on the goal of eliminating these inequalities. The opportunity to better understand and repair these inequalities is what interests me in this course subject matter. The understanding we will gain in this course will help us work towards reconciliation.

What are my expectations for this course?
I expect this course to be full of engaging and active online discussions and interesting and eye-opening readings. I expect to make mistakes, be wrong, and to learn as I progress. I expect to learn new knowledge and new skills and I expect to have some fun while doing it. If anyone likes calendars as much as I do, I’ve created a google calendar with the deadlines for all of the assignments that you can use: Google Calendar.

_______________________________________________________________________________

First Nations Education Steering Committee. Science First Peoples: Teacher Resource Guide. West Vancouver: First Nations Education Steering Committee, 2016. Web. 9 January 2019.

Ministry of Education. “Graduation Rates in BC.” Education Facts. British Columnia Teacher’s Federation, March 2019. Web. 9 January 2019.

Province of BC. “Aboriginal Education in BC: Equity in Action Project.” Online video clip. Youtube. Youtube, 28 August 2018. Web. 9 January 2019.

UBC Geering Up Engineering Outreach. “Going Where the Kids Are: Land Based Learning.” Youtube. Youtube, 17 January 2018. Web. 9 January 2019.

UBC Geering Up Engineering Outreach. “General Information”. Geering Up. UBC, August 2019. Web. 9 January 2019.

»