January and February have flown by and I’m surprised we are already at mid-term of this course! I have enjoyed reading everyone’s posts and learning more about the historical and cultural events that have happened which are so significant to modern-day Indigenous relations. It has also been a joy to read some of the works of Indigenous authors, especially Thomas King.

Blog 1: 1:5 – The Idyllic Village 

This post tells my story of the Idyllic Village and how once evil was introduced to the village, it could not be taken away. I especially like this post because of my analysis of how sharing the story orally enhanced the meaning of the story. This exercise provided a great basis for understanding the difference(s) between written and oral stories, which has continued to be an important theme in all of the assignments.

Blog 2: 2:2 – Home is a Beach

In this blog, I share a thread of stories that illustrate what I think of as ‘home’. Writing this blog required a lot of reflecting on what my definition of home truly is, and I found this to be a worthwhile exercise both for this course and for my life. I’m especially proud of the poem I wrote for the assignment as I have barely ever written poetry,  but I think including it provided a unique way to communicate what I think of as home.

Blog 3: 2:6 – A Roaring Map and the Ongoing Conflict for Land Title 

This post analyzes Judge McEachern’s comments, from the perspective of the author, Matthew Sparke, about the Delgamuukw v. The Queen case, a landmark case for defining Indigenous land title. This post also connects the case to the present-day conflicts happening in Wet’suwet’en territory.

Thanks for reading!