Response to Sienna Richardson-Isberg’s “Business Ethics”

Picture Credit: Nike is Changing the World

Sienna posted a blog about “The girl effect” that Nike has founded to promote women’s education in developing countries.  Here is a link to her article: Business Ethics

Sienna’s blog, as well as our discussion on corporate social responsibility in class intrigued me to research Nike’s current social responsibility plan. The following is what I have discovered.

After the constant criticism of using child labour, poor working conditions and poor wages, Nike decides to clean up its act.  Nike has increased its wages to above the national minimum wage and no longer use child labour.

Nikes turn around in other aspects relates to the importance of Corporate Social Responsibility. Without social, economic and environmental aspects taken into account, Nike cannot be viewed as a modern, innovative business. Nike prides itself in being the top sporting goods brand, and cannot allow itself to lose customers because of their supply processes. With the implementation of their social responsibility plan, Nike’s profits have soared.

I agree with Sienna that what Nike is doing is socially responsible. With the addition of cutting child labour and poor working conditions, Nike redeems (to some extent) the past unethical things the company has done.

Corporate Social Responsibility News