Summarizing and Discussing Phase 2 Topics and Interests

Upon reflection of the topics explored in phase 2 of this course, I wanted to find a way to effectively represent the topics and ideas that resonated with me, and that has helped me in my development as a Teacher-Librarian. I decided to represent phase 2 with the analogy of an ecosystem. I understand each topic as a living and breathing part of an ecosystem. Each part plays an important role in the development of the teacher-librarian and each part contributes and relies on the other to maintain perfect balance and the health of the system. Many topics resonated with me and helped me to develop my understanding of how I can promote life-long learning for myself, teachers, students, parents, and the community.

Image by K.Witkowicz Worclouds.co

The topic of creating a culture of reading resonated with me. I believe that having a culture of reading in a school acts as the foundation of everything the teacher-librarian does throughout the school. This is what I would like to focus on at my current school. I have a plan to create a book club through TEAMS. My next goal is to establish a designated reading time for all the students at the school level. In my own class, I have set a goal to do one read-aloud a day to my grade 4-5 students.

Through phase 2 topics I learned that teacher-librarians need to take hold of their own professional learning. It is important for teacher-librarians to grow in their practice to be able to offer the best services to the staff, students, and community.

A way to achieve this is to take the time to explore new technology and set achievable goals. I feel that my growth in ICT and professional development will determine how well I will be able to help the school community. I want to provide quality collaboration. Recently, I have started to look more closely into the teacher networks that I am a member of. I have been active in the French Immersion Teachers Facebook group which I have found very helpful. I have set a goal to learn about and set up a virtual tour with a classroom by the end of November. I have watched various tutorials on how to use Microsoft STREAM and I opened an account on Screencast-0-Matic with the intention of trying it out with a grade 4 class.

1. Janusz|, Liz, et al. “Building a Culture of Readers.” Fresh Ideas for Teaching, 24 Sept. 2019, blog.savvas.com/building-a-culture-of-readers/.

2. “How to Start a Book Club That Lasts.” Microsoft, www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/everyday-tips-ideas/resources/how-to-start-a-book-club-that-lasts.

3. “6 Great Reasons to Read Aloud to Your Kids (+ a GREAT Resource!).” All About Learning Press, 21 Aug. 2020, blog.allaboutlearningpress.com/6-great-reasons-to-read-aloud/.

4. Professional Learning Communities, https://youtu.be/r–tAcsrI48

4 Comments

Filed under Uncategorized

4 Responses to Summarizing and Discussing Phase 2 Topics and Interests

1. Kathleen,
    I appreciate the connections you created using the concept of ecosystem, with all parts interconnected through the Learning Commons and you as the TL. Strengthening those connections needs to continuously occur. It is hard to know what to focus on first as there are so many avenues to take. For myself the creation and development of the PLN has risen to the top of the list. I am never going to be able to keep up with new technologies or innovative practices. I have developed a learn it when needed strategy, especially since I will probably forget half of what I learned before I have a chance to use it or share it. Being able to find others who are able to share knowledge is really important.

I recently came across this website https://vanmeterlibraryvoice.blogspot.com/ hosted by Shannon McClintock Miller. She creates padlets where people can share library information and she is also well versed in technology. She may be able to help you in your IT journeys.
    Alison

• kathleen witkowicz

Hi Alison, I agree, keeping up with technology is very difficult. I learned how to use most of the technology tools by attending PD sessions. I was also part of an EdTech mentorship group offered by my school division. I learned so much from that mentorship group. The mentors were other teachers in the division who were willing to share their knowledge of tech tools. Although the mentorship sessions are no longer running, I am still in touch with the group members and we share ideas regularly (PLN). Usually, if I want to learn how to use a new tool on the computer, I watch Youtube tutorials and then shoot questions out to the group for advice. Then, with my class, I just jump right in and try the tool. Sometimes things go smoothly, other times it gets really messy but Ièm not afraid of messy and sometimes it turns into a class collaborative effort where the students are trying out the tool and helping each other throughout the process. Thank you for the Miller blog. I will be sure to check it out.

Kathleen

2. Linnaea

Kathleen,

Your idea for teacher bookclub is so important. I have plans to create a student book club, but a teacher one would be an amazing way to share and explore new learnings with your staff! What a great idea! Also, your virtual library tour sounds amazing! I’ll have to try screencast-o-matic out and explore its uses! Adding it to the list!

3. darcy leigh mcnee

This is a good post that reflects back on your learning from phase 2 of our course. I appreciate your analogy of an ecosystem. I agree that there is a fine balance to the many facets of our work – and these all interconnect and rely on each other.