Yo-Yo Boing!

Yo-Yo Boing! is one of the most unique books I’ve ever read. It is certainly the only bilingual book I’ve read, simultaneously written in English and Spanish (or written all at once in Spanglish!) My notes for this books are rather jumbled, containing a lot of question marks and uncertain language. Even upon some lengthy reflection I can’t really piece together a traditional plot nor astounding takeaway for this novel. Nonetheless, I still appreciate its stream-of-consciousness style of writing and the boldness of Yo-Yo Boing!.

I agree with the notion that you cannot translate Yo-Yo Boing! because it erases so much of its effect and significance. I am not a native speaker of Spanish, but I would say I experience some of the friction produced when switching languages. If I’m in “English mode” (which is nearly all the time living in Canada) I especially need a few moments to adjust to speaking Spanish. That time is eliminated when I’m situated in a Spanish-speaking environment, which I think is generally the case for anyone who learned a second language. Aside from switching up a few words, I wouldn’t classify myself as a “Spanglish” speaker, so it was somewhat jarring to read it on a page. Yet it added so much character to the novel, especially among the dynamics between the narrator and others who engage in code-switching. This might be a bit of a cop-out, but I think I would decline to translate Yo-Yo Boing! for this reason!

The idea of mixing the languages (e.g. English/French, French/Arabic) is compelling but I doubt it would fully convey the Nuyorican experience. It’s clear that Braschi is purposeful in her use of language, although her characters might unconsciously slip between English and Spanish. Their more measured speech is in English, which is the language they likely associate with the American establishment. Spanish is used more emotively, it seems. This code switching is impossible to translate.

Braschi mentions in the interview that Yo-Yo Boing! was extremely difficult to write because of a “war of values” between English and Spanish. This may point to a bigger dissonance between mainland American and Puerto Rican culture. I think there is a great irony here, given the fact that Puerto Rica is literally a part of the United States (why it isn’t a state is another unfortunate reminder of modern imperialism) and more Puerto Ricans live on the mainland than on the island itself. The characters in Yo-Yo Boing! shouldn’t feel unwelcome in their own home.

Question: Can you give an example from the text in which Spanglish is used particularly effectively? Would the passage have the same effect solely in one language? Why or why not?

5 thoughts on “Yo-Yo Boing!

1. Jon

First of all, much kudos for taking on this difficult text in a language (by which I mean, Spanglish) that you do not speak!

I like the notion that “English [. . .] is the language they likely associate with the American establishment. Spanish is used more emotively, it seems.” But I feel I have to turn your own question on you, to see if you could come up with some examples that show this. I’m not entirely sure, and it would merit further analysis. (I think, incidentally, that professional linguists have looked extensively into how code-switching works and when it is used. Though Braschi’s own use may well be different.)

1. katherine Post author

I’ve spent a bit more time looking at the contexts in which English or Spanish is used and at seems that English is used for more American objects or expressions (e.g. chicken curry sandwich, control freak, kleenex) and for emphasis. Perhaps code switching isn’t the best term here because the Spanglish dialogue occurs in a static setting between characters who switch up languages for no immediately discernible reason. Usually “code-switching” implies switching languages when moving into different settings.

There are many examples of Spanglish enhancing the text. Here’s one:
      “-Si tú dices: Nunca. Oíste. No estoy enamorada. Yo soy un eco. Y el eco responde: Estoy enamorada. Estoy enamorada. Te amo. Te amo.
      -It’s torture to have to hear the opposite of what I negate. I say: “I don’t love you”.
      -I say: Love you. Love you.
      -It breaks a person’s spirit. Don’t you think?
      -You think. You think.
      -So I always have to hear your backtalk.
      -It’s your own voice contradicting you.
      -No estoy enamorada.
      -Estoy enamorada. Estoy enamorada. Te amo. Te amo.” (page 74 in the e-book)

There’s obviously quite a bit of repetition in this passage just considering the Spanish parts. The English parts exactly reiterate these parts in a less heavy-handed way, thereby adding additional emphasis to them. There’s a back-and-forth between “I (don’t) love you” and “(no) estoy enamorada”, sort of like the conflict between the two languages. Each phrase is repeated in both English and Spanish- like an echo!

2. Chiko Yamamoto

Hi Katherine 🙂
    I did not read Yo-Yo Boing! because I thought it was more for English/Spanish speakers. Thus, I learned the content from your blog, I appreciate your great work!
    For me, I don’t like books like those with a mix of languages other than reactions like WOAH! However, I like your idea that it will convey the whole Nuyorican experience.
    If you were a writer, would you write a book mixing several languages? For instance, I guess writing a story set in Vancouver that mixed English, French, and Chinese would be fascinating!

1. katherine Post author

Good question! I don’t think I personally write a whole book in more than one language simply because I am not focused enough to do that, haha. I doubt I would be able to put together something coherent. Having a book in several languages also restricts your audience, so it really depends on how readable you want your work to be. It would definitely be fun to write a shorter work in more than one language, though!

3. julia gomez-coronado dominguez

Hello, I loved reading your post and your thoughts about the book, and I am surprised you were able to follow the novel without being fully bilingual! WOW! I don’t think the ebook would be the same if it was written in only one language. I understand that the spectrum of readers who can fully understand this book is reduced due to its bilingualism, but without it, the book would lose its essence. The whole point of this code-switching is to express the struggle of biculture and bilingualism from emigrants like the author. Here is an example of the use of Spanglish that in my opinion portrays these struggles and shows how sometimes you can’t express yourself fully in only one language:
    -Pide lo que quieras, Chipo.
    -Ahí viene la waitress.
    -Pues que se espere. We haven’t decided yet.
    -I know what I want, el gaucho.
    -Ahem, but it comes with garlic bread and fries. Ahem