Blurred Lines (No, I don’t want it.)

As many people know, the disaster that is Typhoon Haiyan has struck central Philippines, leaving only destruction in the path it wrought. Naturally, everyone’s first instinct is to donate as a way of helping with relief efforts. However, this blog sheds some light on the ethical dilemmas that surround relief ops.

The Surrey Leader warns against inexperienced relief ops and charities that aren’t as credible as we’d hope, which got me thinking about the ethics involved in such donations, especially in the Philippines.

One of the biggest ethical dilemmas surrounding relief operations for Typhoon Haiyan is the commercializing of donations. Several businesses have openly pledged to support by donating a part of their profits. Mayors, senators, and governors have all given bags upon bags of food and supplies.

However, the ethical dilemma lies in their intentions, not in their actions. Are the businesses that offer to give some of their profits simply donating as a marketing strategy, or as a part of their corporate social responsibility? Their publicizing of this simply blurs the line between altruism and taking advantage of an opportunity.

The government officials that have given supplies ship them over in bags with their face emblazoned on the crisp plastic, making certain that refugees know for sure who brought them. And who to vote for in the next election.

It’s a topic I presently struggle with, because while these people don’t have the best intentions, they are still doing good. So, with that, I leave you one question: does the end justify the means?