Can Twitter Attract New Consumers?

Blockbuster was mentioned in a previous lecture, and I was reminded that I used to rent movies from there all the time. They were a ridiculously successful company that was put out of business because of globalization; today people can just stream movies online.

Businesses have been forced to change as our world has changed. Personally I like to think about the opportunities for new companies and how old ones evolve. That’s why this article about a company, Nielsen, keeping track of TV show-related twitter posts interested me. Companies are adapting to the world today and social media is being utilized as a tool to gain profits.

I wonder how much value will be given to a company whose product is data from the Twitter world; I am sure there will be skeptics not willing to pay for that product. But crazily enough, I was reminded to watch the season finale of the series “Breaking Bad,” by a twitter post from one of my friends last Sunday. I am curious to see how companies who purchase this twitter information will use it to benefit themselves.

NY Times Article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/07/business/media/nielsen-to-measure-twitter-chatter-about-tv.html