First

My first tweet wasn’t very poetic.

I was trying to be alternative by not starting with something generic and, as a result, I still cringe every time I think about it. It was awkward, badly worded and, believe it or not, I actually thought that just because I aimed it at Justin Bieber, he would respond. 

He didn’t.

What I have realized since, is that firsts – even writing the first word on the first page of a brand new exercise book, taking the first sip of tea on a rainy morning, or the first day of living by yourself in a new city – seem to make people believe that it sets a precedent for what’s to come. It’s almost as though we are scared that if we don’t start off this new beginning with a bang, cramming every activity and life experience into a matter of days, we have failed. And, you know what that’s a very easy assertion to make when everyone around you is speeding through life at 2000 miles an hour.

You see, the first thing I did when my plane landed in Vancouver was throw up whilst listening to a song referencing Pink Floyds Dark Side of the Moon. I haven’t suffered from travel sickness since I was three and that was a huge, gross, chocolatey disaster. I don’t know what that means for me at UBC, but I hope it’s not symbolic. And I sure as hell hope this doesn’t become a theme.

So I’m choosing to start again, I choose a plane landing in which I do not start it off with a vomit fuelled bang. And as I do this I ask myself, how do I wish to present myself to you, dear reader. Do I use the word epoch instead of time to convince you that I am somewhat intelligent, do I refer to Justin Bieber because even after getting those godawful dreadlocks he’s still culturally relevant, or should I just keep it simple and say Hi. 
Well then, Hi, my name is Danni and I’m terrified to meet you, Hi my name is Danni and once again I should be asleep even though I’m not, Hi my name is Danni and I have no idea what the fuck I’m doing. 

But I think that’s okay because the best part is figuring out how to get from the beginning to the end .