Pen Pals

Posted by in Language Arts, Social Studies

During my 10-week practicum, I was fortunate to be working in the same grade level as one of my close colleagues. As a result, we were able to collaborate on several units and create connected learning experiences for our classes. In our Community unit, for example, we arranged for our classes to exchange postcards, describing the activities they like to do and places they visit in their respective communities. Not only were the children excited about writing letters to another school, the letters prompted further inquiries that enhanced students’ exploration of community:

The pen-pals activity provided students with an opportunity to make real-world connections to what they were learning in class.

Students were curious where the other children were from – where did they live? How far away was there school? Using GoogleMaps, I was able to show my class exactly where their letters were being mailed to.

After the letters were exchanged, the class engaged in a discussion about the similarities and differences they noticed between the communities.  Students were excited to see that their new friends also enjoyed activities like swimming, skating, and bike riding.

The exchange of letters also supported students’ development of important social-emotional skills, including acceptance and respect. Students received letters from children in wheelchairs, with motor disabilities, and from various cultural backgrounds. As a result, this contributed to a rich discussion about diversity.

Image (17)aImage (18)a