Teaching Philosophy

To premise my philosophy, I acknowledge that I am both a teacher and a learner. I recognize my perspective on education is continually developing as I acquire new information and gain further experience. As a result, I enter teaching with an open mind and heart – confident in my abilities, but passionate about growth and learning as I continue my practice.

“Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all.”
– Aristotle

My philosophy of education centres on teaching the whole child. By providing opportunities for emotional, intellectual, social, and physical development, learners can grow into caring and responsible citizens.

Educate the Heart

An important element of my teaching is being responsive to the diversity that exists among learners. In my practice, I value students’ linguistic, cultural, and experiential backgrounds as well as strive to make pedagogical decisions that consider how identity, culture, gender, social class, and mental health impact their learning.  I am passionate about supporting children of all abilities and backgrounds in their journeys to becoming respectful and responsible individuals.  To do so, I recognize the importance of establishing an inclusive and safe classroom environment in which children strive to become compassionate citizens.  In my practice, I will use my background in Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) to nurture this community of learners and support students’ participation, involvement, and success.

Educate the Mind

Another component of my teaching philosophy is engaging students in authentic learning opportunities that facilitate conceptual and cognitive growth. By their very nature, children are full of wonder and curiosity about the world around them.  As an educator, it is my role to nurture these inquiries and be responsive to students’ needs so all children can achieve success and foster an enjoyment for learning.