My View of Academic Citation

During our discussions of academic integrity, I found many things surprising and differing from my original thought about academic integrity. My previous views of academic integrity were always tasks that were required to do for fear of plagiarism, or to earn easy marks for an assignment. I never had thought of academic integrity as a conversation, or a continuation of knowledge, more or less something everyone dreaded doing for the sake of time and energy on an assignment. What I found the most interesting was that academic integrity was more used as a means of continuing academic dialogue, and building off the information from one piece of academic writing to another. I almost think of it as sending a text or an email, and in that email you include valuable information that a person wants to be able to find again. We all know in this day and age with technology when we try to find a past text or email we just go onto our phones or computers and search that text or email and we find all the information we want; a citation is exactly that but just in a more professional and academic form. Academic citation is a search bar for where we can find valuable information to continue on our academic discussion. To go along with the common theme of modern academic citation, I found an article online that describes academic citation as listening and talking to sources which is an interesting way to think about it. I specifically focused on the listening to sources part of the statement, and the connection I made was that in order to listen to a source, and benefit from it, we need to make that acknowledgement. It is similar to making eye contact with someone when they are talking, that is how you show someone that you are listening. I find that by making so many connections between modern day life and academic citation, I have changed my perspective on academic integrity, and found a way to relate it to my everyday life. I find it to be super important in practicing, and doing in all academic work we create. It is definitely something that I overlooked during my high school career, but will certainly not overlook during my university career. 

Here is the link to the article I read:  ​https://milnepublishing.geneseo.edu/writing-in-college-from-competence-to-excellence/chapter/listening-to-sources-talking-to-sources/ 

Read 1 comment