Week 5 Blog, CEL talk

After watching this week’s CEL talk on refugee supports, I found it really interesting and helpful for my upcoming research paper which questions what it means to be a refugee and how they are affected, so I found this talk crucial to my paper with the information provided. One thing that was said that caught my attention was how they talked about how we are all in the process of settlement, we are all trying to get from point A to point B. Obviously this point is made more specifically towards refugees, but I question if we are all in transition from one place to another, how does that determine what it means to be a refugee? This is also something I struggle to find the meaning in with my research paper, but it’s making me realize how much of a worldwide issue this is. As mentioned in the talk, whether people are going to other countries legally with the right processes, or illegally by seeking asylum, it all has the same meaning. I struggle to agree with that because I feel like the certain terms given to certain types of refugees give light to the struggle behind their situation. Someone seeking asylum may have had a very difficult time getting out of their country and finding shelter in another, but how is that comparable to someone who had the resources, money, or connections to secure a proper exit from one country into another? Some journeys for refugees are very inaccessible, and most times end up dangerous for the people on the journey, so I feel it’s important to recognize that in the different meanings behind it.

Read 2 comments