Week 11: Distant Star

by kenwardt

This week I chose to dive into “Distant Star” by Roberto Bolaño. I enjoyed this week’s reading as it felt like I was reading some sort of mystery crime novel filled with thrilling scenes. As we’ve all realized throughout the weeks, names have importance, and at first glance I thought the novel would be in a similar realm to “The Hour of The Star” by Clarice Lispector. Sure there was violence in both nooks, but nothing to the extreme of the Distant Star.

I then thought about what the title of the book meant. Since in “The Hour of the Star” we questioned what the title’s literal meaning was, and if Macabéa had her hour of the star moment. In “Distant Star” the narrator remains unnamed and I think the “star” refers to Carlos Weider, the poet and killer to whom the narrator is obsessed with. Although the star is distant, it still is important, and its light still shines and affects the world its in.

Although “Distant Star” was a much easier read for me as compared to some previous books in the course, it still tackled complex themes and problems occuring at the time. It explored the political and cultural climate of the Pinochet regime in Chile, with a focus on how art and literature can be used to fight against oppression.

The structure of the novel wasn’t the easiest to follow in terms of time, since it did jump back and forth between the past and present similar to “100 Years of Solitude,” but I did appreciate the different characters we were able to meet even if they were shortlived and involved in violent murders. One that stuck out to me was the photo of a severed finger just laying on the grey cement (p.89).

After reading the lecture transcript (It’s whisky this week Jon) I too was not satisfied with the ending, like the narrator. Although it allowed for an ambigous ending which is popular to some readers, I found it leaving me wanting more of a definitive ending in reagard to the narrator. I liked the way Jon put it, as “brushing history against the grain will always leave some sense of discomfort, as we realize our inevitable complicity in its ongoing violence” (p.10). Powerful stuff Jon.

My question to you all is: did you enjoy how the story wasn’t exactly linear, but had a narrative structure that jumped between time? (Bonus question: did you find the ending of the novel to be to your liking?)