Week 12: Papi – Rita Indiana

by kenwardt

I quite enjoyed reading Papi this week. Rita Indiana does a great job of narrating through the lens of a little girl who enjoys any moment she can have with her father. I found it funny how in the beginning, the narrator describes her father as being “like Jason, the guy from Friday the 13th. Or like Freddy Kreuger” (p.1). Even though people are fearful of him, the daughter has him on a pedestal. I guess she doesn’t understand why he does the things he does but she likes how he is very wealthy and can buy whatever he wants, even multiples of the same things. “My Papi has more of everything than your papi, he’s stronger than yours, he has more hair, more muscle, more money, and more girlfriends than yours” (p.8). Weird flex but okay. Her father is a tough gangster that acts like a caudillo, but she can’t wrap her hear around that and I applause it as it feels authentic, like I’m reading the work of a young child who just loves her dad.

Papi is like a well know celebrity in his hometown, and crowds form to swarm Papi everytime he comes back to visit. He is a superstar, and is treated like one. To the narrator, Papi is like a superhero, and does whatever he needs to provide for his family to live a lavish lifestyle.

As the narrator grows up, she realizes that her dad is not who she once thought he was. This coming of age realization happens to just about every child. Their role models are flawed just like any other human being, and that can be upsetting and is like a loss of innocence for the child. In reality, Papi was an irresponsible father that neglected his child.

Due to the imagination of the narrator as a child, she thought the father’s neglect was like a game. How you wouldn’t know when he was coming back was sort of like a messed up version of hide and seek, but it wouldn’t take a few minutes for him to come back and “find her” – more like weeks/months. Play is seen throughout the book, from the narrators creative imagination as well as through the way the story is written.

My question to you all this week is do you think if Papi was not a superstar in his hometown, but still neglected his daughter to the same extent, would the daughter still feel so excited to see him everytime he came back?