The Story

Changing The Face Of Canada – Who Is This Great Canadian?

To be considered a ‘Great Canadian’ is a distinction only offered to people who do extraordinary things in their life. It is a distinction that is given to people who stand out from the crowd selflessly putting the needs and wants of others ahead of themselves. These great people have a life focus and an innate need to help others that is unmeasurable. This is our story. A story of a Canadian who changed a nation giving people hope and inspiration in a time of turmoil and uncertainty.

Hint #1: His Influence Stretches Across Canada (created using Animoto)

This Canadian hero, although he did not spent most of his life traveling Canada, did reach most people across this country by his determination and commitment to his cause.

Hint #2: His Influence Can Be Seen In Our Customs (created using Photopeach)

This Canadian hero, although did not spent most of his life changing our culture, did influence our patriotic spirit and governmental rules and regulations regarding helping others in need.

Hint #3: His Influence Was Captured On TV and Radio (created using Pixton)

This Canadian hero, although he did not spend much time on the news, did make a big statement when he was on.

Hint #4: His Influence Can Be Traced & Mapped (created using Wayfaring Maps)

This Canadian hero, although he did not travel the world spreading his message, did make a big statement to all Canadians on one of his journey’s that went from St. John’s to Thunder Bay taking in 5,373 kilometers.

Hint #5: It’s Time To Guess A Name: (created using Poll Daddy)

This Canadian hero, although he did not dedicate his entire life to helping Canadians, did so with the time he had left.

Hint #6: More Clues To This Great Canadian: (created using EducaPlay)

This Canadian hero, although he did not change the life of every person in Canada with unnamed heath problems, did raise our hopes with his single dream.

The Big Reveal:Who Is This Great Canadian? (created using Stupeflix/YouTube Video Editor/Vimeo)

Using a name you have chosen (refer to the list above), the clues and hints provided, type the NAME of this person (in lower case and as one word: ie: rickmercer) in the password space of the video below to reveal the final photo/video montage of this Great Canadian.

Please Note:

The photos used in this video are from a combination of personal photos taken over the years of my charity work with the Terry Fox foundation (especially the 26th Annual Terry Fox Run that took place on Sept. 17th, 2006) in addition to others approved by his brother Fred Fox.

Terry Fox was 18 years old when he was diagnosed with osteogenic sarcoma (bone cancer) and forced to have his right leg amputated 15 centimetres (six inches) above the knee in 1977.

While in hospital, Terry was so overcome by the suffering of other cancer patients, many of them young children, that he decided to run across Canada to raise money for cancer research. He called his journey the Marathon of Hope.

Terry started his run in St. John’s, Newfoundland on April 12, 1980 (I actually had an opportunity to meet him in person). Enthusiasm grew and the money collected along his route began to mount. He ran 42 kilometres (26 miles) a day through Canada’s Atlantic provinces, Quebec and Ontario.

However, on September 1st, after 143 days and 5,373 kilometres (3,339 miles), Terry was forced to stop running outside of Thunder Bay, Ontario because cancer had appeared in his lungs. Terry Fox passed away on June 28, 1981 at the age 22.

Reflection: 50 Ways to Tell a Story Using Web 2.0 Tools:

Why Terry Fox?

It is in our culture to help people in need and people like Terry Fox further show this distinctive Canadian characteristic.  He inspired millions of people around the world as he drew nationwide attention and raised $ 1.7 million for cancer research. Gripped by an outpouring of emotion, Canadians donated an additional $23 million to the fund. For his efforts Terry was made a Companion of the Order of Canada and a B.C. mountain was named after him.

This type of story is critical for students studying grade 9 Canadian Studies in understanding and appreciating our identity as Canadians. Found in almost every chapter of the book there are subtle references to Canadian identity. As teachers we are asked ensure students have a good understanding of our identity and culture. Because of my personal connection with Terry Fox and his foundation I made the decision to make him my ‘Great Canadian’ digital example. The next logical step was to create an online treasure hunt as the backdrop, employ multiple online tools (audio, video, photo, maps, guessing, comics, clues, hints) to lure the students in and finally have the students find the correct answer only to then go forward and create a story of their own was another motivating factor behind why I purposefully selecting these specific tools to tell my story.

Rationale Behind The Tools:

Our story (Find The Great Canadian Treasure Hunt) begins by embedding small clues via the many web 2.0 tools we have at our disposal in an attempt to get students excited and interested in using the web to tell a story. In my experience using multiple forms of storytelling proves to be more effective than just one when trying to motivate student participation and trying to reach the many different learning abilities.

Animoto, our first of many tools in this story was an easy choice for me since students seem to really like it’s intuitive interface that is easy to navigate and free to use. The choice of music is critical when it comes to getting their attention along with the photos. My reason behind using PhotoPeach, which is similar to Animoto, is that it allows me the opportunity to include photos, music, and text. If you noticed, the text at the bottom of the photos is critical as the important words are highlighted in caps. These highlighted words link to important topic words found within several of the key chapters in the book. When deciding to use Pixton I thought the story could be further developed though  use of digital comics. Students love comics, it’s color and dialogue seem to entice them into the story. My intention was to give the students a taste of a digital comic story since we will be using the iPad, along with the app ‘Strip Designer’ to create a comic on Canadian identity. Next was the embedding of a Wayfaring Map that traced the route Terry took on his marathon of hope. Students get a good idea of how to follow maps giving them another tip and digital tool in their quest to find out who is the ‘Great Canadian’. There will be many opportunities in later chapters in the book to use both Wayfaring and Google map activities when discussion both world wars.

Next, I decided on using both Poll Daddy and EducaPlay in my attempt to give students the ability to pick names and reveal more clues . Both are free, easy to use and assist in helping students find the correct person in the online digital treasure hunt. My intentions are also to have students use these tools later so they can help me determine their topics for their research paper. The final reveal video was a combination of Stupeflix, YouTube Video Editor, and Vimeo. Stupeflix is a really nice site that gives you many flexible options when creating a photo slideshow. I think the pan and zoom option (Ken Burns effect) on photos by is the best way to animate static photos when trying to communicate an important idea. The video was then downloaded and then uploaded to YouTube’s where I used their online video editor to add titles, cut out sections and color correct some photos. Finally, the video was then re-downloaded and uploaded to Vimeo such that I could password protect it with the unlock code. I could have done the same within YouTube but I do find Vimeo’s interface much more customizable especially if you have multiple videos that you would like to embed as a digital widget.

All digital hints, tips, maps and final story was ultimately embedded within my e-Portfolio in addition to being accessible on the site they were created.

1. Animoto

2. Photopeach

3. Pixton

4. Wayfaring Maps

5. Poll Daddy

6. Pixton

7. EducaPlay

8. Stupeflix

9. YouTube Video Editor

10. Vimeo

Pedagogy Behind The Story:

When selecting the tools for my digital story, I took the National Educational Technology Standards and Performance Indicators for Teachers and Bates and Poole’s SECTIONS framework for selecting and using technology into consideration.  In addition, I used NETS to justify my choices in a general sense and SECTIONS to look at the specifics of each tool.

NETS:

There are 5 main standards for teachers with each standard having four descriptors.  While reviewing the standards, I feel that the following three are most applicable to this project:

1. Facilitate and Inspire Student Learning and Creativity:

“Teachers use their knowledge of subject matter, teaching and learning, and technology to facilitate experiences that advance student learning, creativity, and innovation in both face-to-face and virtual environments.  Teachers promote, support, and model creative and innovative thinking and inventiveness”. Either tool used in my story would inspire and motivate students to share their stories individually or as a class project. From creating online comics, to photo slideshows or creating an online map or poll students have the opportunity to be inspired while creating a very creative and flexible online story.

2. Design and Develop Digital-Age Learning Experiences and Assessments:

“Teachers design, develop, and evaluate authentic learning experiences and assessments incorporating contemporary tools and resources to maximize content learning in context and to develop the knowledge, skills, and attitudes identified in the NETS-S.  Teachers design and adapt relevant learning experiences that incorporate digital tools and resources to promote student learning and creativity.” Many lessons that I currently do with my students could be adapted to include a digital component.  I believe that teaching 21stCentury learners demands preparing students for their future and being able to relate to their reality now.  By using a novel approach, students will be motivated to reflect on their learning in a purposeful manner.

3. Promote and Model Digital Citizenship and Responsibility:

“Teachers understand local and global societal issues and responsibilities in an evolving digital culture and exhibit legal and ethical behaviour in their professional practices.  Teachers advocate, model, and teach safe, legal, and ethical use of digital information and technology, including respect for copyright, intellectual property, and the appropriate documentation of sources”. When using Animoto, I used rcrdlbl.com for the audio component.  According to their terms of service, you can use any .mp3 you download from their site for personal use. It is important for teachers to not only teach students how to use Web 2.0 applications, but how to use them in a responsible manner.

SECTIONS:

Bates and Poole (2003) state: “With technology developing at such a rapid pace, teachers and administrators are constantly being faced with the need to make decisions about appropriate technology for teaching” (p.75).  They have developed a framework for teachers to work through when selecting learning technologies.  The model is as follows:

S – Students

E – Ease of use

C – Costs

T – Teaching and learning

I – Interactivity

O – Organizational issues

N – Novelty

S – Speed

I have carefully considered three of the SECTIONS framework points as they relate to my digital story and would like to further elaborate on each below:

Ease of Use:
All of the embedded digital tools are very easy for both teacher and student to use, provided the teacher spends time prepping their lesson. Both Animoto and Photopeach have video tutorials on their site to help get you started quickly. With that in mind, all embed tips, hints, maps, and videos by each site have their own video tutorials on YouTube narrated by other students and teachers.

Costs:
All tools used have demo or free options and therefore are accessible to both student and teacher.

Interactivity:
All of these tools allow students to interact with the page in order to create a story.  With all of the tools I’ve used, students are forced to interact with the page when creating with either tool, and for elements like Poll Daddy, EducaPlay, they are also obliged to interact with each element. In addition, all of the final elements, can be hosted on the application’s website or embedded into a classroom website, weblog or wiki.

Digital Story-telling Using Sound Pedagogical Arguments:

Background:

I teach grade 5,6,7,8,9 students.  As a very busy intermediate teacher and school network administrator, I am a generalist meaning that I teach many subjects and have multiple rolls. (Social Studies, Art, Tech Ed, Religion, Health, and Science) The major focus throughout my classes is learning while having fun. Porter states that “..digital storytelling supports creative expression and communication using English, encourages technological skill development and encourages critical thought across disciplines..” (Porter, 2004; The University of Houston, 2008).

In addition, I can also use digital storytelling to support the integration of technological skills within all subjects I teach and possibly enhance students’ communicative skills as a result. Integrating technology into all my lessons is essential to having 21st Century fun.  It also proves to be an invaluable resource to learning: a way that helps differentiate my teaching while giving new life to learning. Nelson further develops this ideas by stating that “..students engage in multiliteracy and use their authorial voice and critical thinking skills with digital storytelling (Nelson, 2006) In my experience, students can learn so much from a digital story. Multiple learning areas can be developed using this medium while at the same time further developing their critical thinking skills.

Description:

With specific reference to class lessons and student learning, I have used Animoto to create digital stories that would be projected up on my SMARTboard to be presented to the rest of the class. As of this year, I have done the same activity only using the iPad as the medium. Students would create their digital story using the Animoto app and using a connected Apple TV they would send their digital story wirelessly from their seat via the iPad to the Apple TV connected to the SMART board for everyone to see. With that in mind, I would have specific expectations for my students and they would be accountable for this work by interacting with the iPad and SMARTboard.  For example, I would have create a digital story on their iPad, project it to the SMARTboard, and have other students in the class use the SMARTboard markers to write on the board additional ideas they might use to enhance the digital story.

In terms of other ways to learn and have fun, such as in TechEd, I would use PhotoPeach in an interesting way.  I have often sent students out into the hallways of the school armed with a digital camera.  They have been “detectives” looking for clues.  In this case, I would have students take digital photos of different computer components hidden in specific locations.  From there, they would be taught how to upload the photos to iPhoto and worked with one-on-one to complete a video on computer hardware in PhotoPeach.

Rationale:

At the intermediate level, technology can be used to develop a good understanding of any concept while having fun.  Although at this age students will sometimes need one-on-one assistance to complete individual projects, it is well worth the time to create collaborative classroom projects.  The strength of linking the subject material to technology helps students have fun while learning at the same time. Kajder, Bull & Albaugh state that “… digital storytelling has been shown to increase learning engagement, increase multiliteracy exploration and improve English reading, writing, oral expression and listening comprehension skills in English Language Learners…” (Kajder, Bull & Albaugh, 2005; Nelson, 2006; Ramirez-Verdugo & Belmonte, 2007; Sadik, 2008; Tsou, Wang & Tzeng, 2006) With this in mind, using a digital story would have many advantages over the standard notes on the board. In my experience, it has served to help students further develop their oral expression and listening abilities while giving them a new medium to express themselves.

Conclusion

Digital Storytelling is a wonderful way to enhance curriculum across subject areas. There are many Web 2.0 tools to choose from.  That being said, it is wise to evaluate the tool to be sure that it will enhance student learning by providing students with a learner-centered approach.  I am very excited to teach in a time that has technology as one means for the facilitation of student learning. From online gaming to video chatting and all the myriad of web 2.0 tools online at the moment, all teachers need is accessibility to the internet and the learning possibilities are endless.

Bates A. W. & Poole, G. (2003). A Framework for Selecting and Using Technology. In A.W. Bates & G. Poole, Effective Teaching with Technology in Higher Education (pp. 75-108). San Francisco: Jossey-Bass. 4.

National Educational Technology Standards for Teachers. Retrieved Nov 14, 2012 from: http://www.iste.org/Content/NavigationMenu/NETS/ForTeachers/2008Standards/NETS_for_Teachers_2008.htm

Porter, B. (2004). DigiTales: About digital storytelling. Available Online 12, Nov, 2012, from http://www.digitales.up/about/index.php

Nelson, M. E. (2006). Mode, meaning and synaesthesia in multimedia L2 writing. Language Learning and Technology, 10 (2)m 56-76. Available Online 15, Nov, 2012, from http://llt.msu.edu/vol10num2/nelson/

Levine, A. (2007). “50 Web 2.0 Ways to Tell a Story.” Accessed Online 19, Nov, 2012, from http://cogdogroo.wikispaces.com/StoryTools

Kajder, S., Bull, G., & Albaught, S. (2005). Constructing digital stories. Learning & Leading 32(5), 40-42. Available Online 15, Nov, 2012, from ERIC:http://www.eric.ed.gov/ERICDocs/data/ericdocs2sql/content_storage_01/0000019b/80/2a/19/38.pdf

2 thoughts on “The Story

1. Kevin,

Great job overall. Cannot think of a better Canadian than Terry!

Thanks for sharing the use of multiple tools. This has given me some ideas for my own classroom. Thank you.

Does your SmartBoard have and HDMI input? If not how did you connect the Apple TV to the board? I have to agree that the combo of iPad and Apple TV is a great combination.

Dominic

• Thanks Dominic,
      Yes, our Smart Boards do have HDMI and that would be how we connect our Apple TV’s. The iPad/Apple TV’s activities are working out really well. Students and teachers love the ability to connect to their smart board wirelessly via the Apple TV when they want to show their iPad screen to the class.

Kevin