BLOG # 3: AMERICAN AIRLINES’ NEW TRACKING SYSTEM

Image source

This week in class we have used the business canvas model and applied it to a company of our choice. This activity has helped me understand how businesses document their existing situation. Reading the news has made me realise that this simple yet useful model is applicable to well established companies such as American Airlines. This company has recently introduced a service which allows passengers to track their luggage. In fact, this was their value preposition because it was an existing problem; it was “something our customers ha[d] been asking for a really long time”. This new feature is made for all passengers that fly with American Airlines and want to keep and eye on their bags and it is a way to keep customers satisfied.

As a person that flies really often, I really value an airline that takes into consideration its customers needs. American Airline found an existing problem and did their best to solve it. Although I have not experienced having my bags being misplaced or lost, I know people that have been through this, thus this new tracking service will be really beneficial. However, I don’t consider this new tool as a way for the company to grow customers. Even though this does improve customer satisfaction, I believe that a person will tend to be loyal to the airline that offers the best deals.

Only a small percentage of passengers in each flight have their luggage lost or misplaced. This means that the tracker is ultimately made to assure that nothing happens to the luggage and passengers can fly without worries. As said before, this feature will not necessarily attract new customers ( many other airlines also provide this system) but it will definitely enhance the airline’s brand.

Reference:

http://www.fastcompany.com/3051801/elasticity/american-airlines-lets-passengers-track-checked-bags-in-real-time