What You See is What You Get?

–understanding everyday marketing

What You See is What You Get? header image 2

A Little More Noise for A Little Less Waste

November 1st, 2010 by Kim Nguyen

How annoying would you rate your regular bag of chips? I personally would say, “What noise? I’m too busy munching away the snacks before anyone can complain.” Unfortunately, not all chip consumers are as involved in the munching experience as I am. Some do notice the level of noise their bags make and some do speak out about making it stop!

Frito Lay faced this exact problem with their Sun Chip line when they switched over to new bags.

So some noisy bags came onto the scene and upset some consumers. My first reaction is, “Why so picky?” One could technically just pour all the chips out into a large bowl and call it a chip affair for the night. Nonetheless, Frito Lay responded to the surprisingly large number of complaints by issuing a public apology for the new design and proceeded to take it off their shelves in the states. Frito Lay Canada decided not to.

The question is why are the bags so noisy to begin with? It is because they are eco-friendly bags that can expect to compost within 14 weeks of disposing it. A little noise for little less waste. Who doesn’t appreciate that? Frito Lay Canada has started to take advantage of this turn of events and decided to not give in to the consumers unruly complaints and actually taking the time to inform and create an educational campaign out of this. At this day and time of age, everyone is looking for ways to be “green” and to jump on the sustainable bandwagon.

I applaud Frito Lay Canada for not surrendering to their noisy bag complaints. It was after all a creation that took four years to perfect. Read more about what the public has written about this little dispute: click here.

Tags: No Comments

Leave A Comment

0 responses so far ↓

• There are no comments yet...Kick things off by filling out the form below.