Travelling

what-europe-means-to-me-1

The images in my head when I think of Europe are fashion houses, perfumeries, food and wine, juxtaposed against the cityscape of Rome.

Europe is…

…Coco Chanel, Christian Dior, Christian Loubutain, Louis Vutton, Salvatore Ferragamo, Giovanni Valentino… 

…drinking a cappuccino alongside a glass of wine at 10am along the Piazza Mazzini…

…spending hours walking through never-ending hallways in air conditioned museums and admiring centuries of beauty…

…admiring the magnificent works of Leonardo da Vinci, Michelangelo, Raphael, and Boccaccio…

…watching opera and getting lost in the music, Madame Butterfly, The Magic Flute, Carmen, and Rigoletto…

…eating at one of the many wonderful garden cafes while overlooking the city…

…delectable scents in the perfumeries where you can create a fragrance that personalizes the experiences and epitomizes the European culture…

…wandering through churches where you find that everything is built on top of everything else…

…walking along the Ponte Vecchio and passing thorough all the one of a kind jewelry shops…

…drinking Café Angelina hot chocolate in Galleria Lafayette…

…macaroons on the grass below the Eiffel Tower…

…getting lost wandering the cobbled streets and discovering authentic places…

…authentic Italian dinner at the Assisi convent …

…relaxing on the Spanish Steps indulging in  gelato, watching the world go by…

…strolling along Champs-Élysées, through the fashion houses…

Context

To me this is Europe; it my passion and inspiration for what I am currently studying.  This piece describes the passion I have for studying the classics, and art.  These loves are why I originally decided to learn more about the medieval period and the Renaissance.  I wrote this piece in the fall when I was reminiscing about my travels last year, and dreaming about going back.  I was thinking about what I would rather be doing than studying for midterms and writing papers.  I’m proud of this work because it demonstrates what I am passionate about.  It captures my favorite parts of travelling to Europe and takes me back to when I was there.   I like the unique structure of this work because the fragments flow, creating the appearance that I am travelling from city to city.  Ultimately, this work is important to share with people because it paints an image of my passions and interests in life.  This describes my past, present, and future by showing all the different places that I love to travel to, what I love to do when I am there, and my plans to continue going back, for years to come.