Art & Culture in Paris

Context: This creative piece represents my passion for traveling and experiencing different cultures. It focuses on my last trip to Paris where I had the opportunity to  visit the Palais Garnier and see Carmen, which is one of my favourite Operas. Immersing myself in the Persian culture allowed me the opportunity to really experience the city in a way I never have before.  Fashion has always been a passion of mine and getting to visit some of the greatest fashion houses in the world was an overwhelming adventure. The passion I discovered for the culture and history of Europe has led me to pursue studies in Art History and Classical Studies.  Ultimately, this work is important to share with people because it shows how much I value the art and culture of Paris.

________________________________________________________________________

Three years ago I spent three weeks in France with my mother. Here is the story of my discovery of Parisian art and culture:

From Vancouver we landed directly in Paris and immediately from the airport we went to Pierre Hermé, which is my favorite macaroon shop.  The boutique is so luxurious and elite with flavours like pistachio  and champagne, jasmine and rosé, lavender and earl grey.

Cafe Angelina was our next stop.  When you order hot chocolate, they serve whip cream on the side of the chocolate, which you then get to mix together. The combination is rich and decadent, and each sip is so creamy and fluffy, that it is like sipping on a cloud. It is so difficult to describe just how good it is, but it makes you want to keep coming back each day for more. It is worth travelling to Paris just to go there again. In Paris, we also went to Limoge to see their china. Limoge is a city that was made famous for creating china for Marie Antoinette. We had the opportunity to see their workshops in the quaint sea-side town, and spent the day wandering around.

From there, my mom and I boarded a train to Bordeaux. The train was quite typical and quick, and we soon arrived at our destination. In Bordeaux, I sipped my first legal drink- a glass of rosé- at the Cafe des Artists, which is part of the Caudalie Hotel. For dinner, we had a traditional five course Parisian dinner that included foie gras and creme brûlée. The next day, we ordered room service- European tomatoes and buffalo mozzarella with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, with a dash of salt on top- and then we went to the spa for the day.  The Jacuzzi made us feel like we were in our own little worlds because it was so secluded. The Caudalie Hotel is part of a vineyard, and all of their skin care products are made from their grapes. This hotel is not a tourist destination as lots of locals regularly stay at this spa, carrying their little toy Parisian dogs in their Birkin bags.

After a week at the Caudalie Hotel, my mom and I went to Versailles. A world of luxurious gold, every room is decorated with this precious metal. The history of King Louis XIV, the Sun King, was overwhelmed by the marble floors, Persian carpets, and gold furnishings. We ended our time in Versailles with a final trip to Cafe Angelina, where we drank hot chocolate and ate desserts of chocolate and raspberries.

Following Versailles, we travelled back to Paris and stayed in an Airbnb. Situated next to a local grocery store and across from the Eiffel Tower, this apartment was set apart from the tourist street, and was close to the gardens in a residential section of the city. Like most European doors, the front door’s lock was located at head height and had thick, modern keys that differed from those found in North America. The elevator was vintage with an iron gate that had to be manually pulled shut before moving. That evening, we went for dinner at a local restaurant and dined on escargot, exotic cheeses, and creme brûlée.

A few days into our time in Paris, my mom and I went for dinner at a classic little Parisian restaurant, and we then went to see Carmen at Palais Garnier, the Paris Opera House. We were dressed in designer Marc Jacob dresses, which we had purchased the day before at the Galleries la Fayette, and sat in box seats. Carmen is one of my all time favorite operas, because of how lively and complex the music sounds. When I was a little girl, my mom used to play the music from Carmen while she was cooking, and I now associate this music with my childhood. We were offered a glass of Dom Perignon- my first- and even travelling with my mom, I felt like a grown up for the first time.

One day in Paris, my mom and I decided to go on a fashion tour. We started at Coco Chanel’s flagship store, where we toured the Chanel fashion show staircase and had our pictures taken next to the iconic floor to ceiling mirrors. We then walked down the street to the Hotel Ritz, Bar Hemingway. We then went over to the Louis Vuitton flagship store, where security guards stand by the front door holding velvet ropes. Bags are placed reverently in glass cases and only removed by sales associates wearing special gloves. Unlike international store locations, this store also sells clothing and shoes, and classical music streams continuously over the speakers. From there, we went to the Annick Goutal perfumery, and visited the Cartier next to it, where uniformed guards stand outside 24/7 monitoring those who come near, and only allowing those who look like they belong (aka. those who can afford it) to enter. With red velveted spiral staircases, Cartier has balconies that overlook the rest of the store, and glass cases containing priceless jewels that would befit royalty. The environment of the entire day was opulence, wealth, and luxury, and though I had expected this type of abundance, by the end of the day I was overwhelmed by the rich beauty of Paris.

One afternoon, before starting a day of shopping, my mom and I went to the Eiffel Tower, and went for lunch at Restaurant 58, and overlooking the city, we had espresso, foie gras, and creme brûlée.

Ultimately, this trip aided my knowledge of Parisian culture, fashion, and food. It made me realize how much I love fancy, classy European things. Travelling with my mom was incredibly special and I treasure our time spent together wandering the boutiques of Paris, and discovering the comforts of France.