You can now have your coffee and eat it too

Posted by in Uncategorized

You’re tired so you go to a coffee shop and you grab a coffee. You have a fifteen minute break at work and you run down to the nearest Starbucks to grab a coffee. You’re on the way to work and you grab a Tim’s coffee to start your day. These are habits that we all pick up and become part of our daily lives. It is in our nature as humans to waste. I consider myself environmentally friendly, and I recycle my cup after using it, but it’s hard to bring a tumbler around with you everywhere.

We talk about the concept of product life cycle and using a product from cradle to grave. We look at suitable solutions regarding how we should recycle something and how can we create the least waste. McDonough and Braungart look at a new perspective of cradle to cradle and this closed loop system. The new perspective views materials like nature which circulates nutrients in healthy, safe metabolisms. Therefore once a product has been used, it is reused for a different purpose.

edible coffee cups

KFC has bought into this philosophy and has created edible coffee cups. These coffee cups are made from biscuit, wrapped in sugar paper and lined with a layer of heat resistant chocolate (Alexander, 2015). As one of the 4Cs of sustainable marketing, consumers will be sustainable if it is convenient for them. For many, splitting up the contents of a coffee cup is often a hassle and you see many consumers throw the whole thing in the garbage. KFC has done a great job in making this as convenient as possible. There is no waste when it comes to these cups. This product is currently in trial stages but hopefully other companies will start to make their cups edible to reduce waste from landfills. On another note, the coffee cup can also double as a snack!