Home

Welcome to Konstantin’s ENGL301 blog!

ENGL301 is a technical writing course that aims at teaching the principles of business and professional communication. This student blog was created as part of this course and will be updated with written assignments as the course progresses. The course aims to develop the necessary skills needed in technical writing through various modes learning that include independent and collaborative work as well as work in consultation with the instructor.

Through various written assignments that range from email memos to a formal report students not only learn the best practices and strategies of professional writing, but are also exposed to collaborative and self-reflective activities. An important part of the course will be to guide students to develop abilities in presenting themselves professionally for job search and career-building through building an online social media profile/resume and a job application Web Folio package. The course itself is subdivided into four units. Each unit deals with a different genre of technical communication, such as writing a correspondence or an online profile. It also explores different aspects of professional writing, for example, clarity, presentation and style. Lastly, each unit is designed to guide students through the course to work collaboratively, building up to the formal report and job application projects.

I expect to learn from the course the basic principles of technical writing and to develop the skills that will aid me in my future career. I hope to develop a better sense of writing with an audience and purpose in mind, while staying within the needed genre and professional style. Moreover, I hope that through working together with other people, I will be able to discover for myself new perspectives on writing per se and reflect and improve on my weaknesses or limitations in it. Lastly, I suspect that the course will not only improve my technical writing, but other types of writing as well, as some skills are probably transferable.