Task 2: Annotation Video

Standard

This week’s task asked us to read an article by Lera Bododisky and to annotated her SAR lecture from May 2017.  The CLAS platform was easy to use, and I found myself thinking of a variety of different ways that I can utilize this platform for my own courses.  With my online courses being primarily Video-Based Learning, I fear that students are passively watching without absorbing the information.  In a classroom, the teacher can pause the video to ask questions.  This chunking method allows time for reflection.

While I was watching, I enjoyed the ability to stop and ponder about the ideas being presented.  I find that lectures or presentations that I participate in that are longer than 45 minutes, I zone out.  I was able to take my time and really consider the topic and the language of learning.

Do I feel that language shapes thought?  Absolutely! Over the past 6 years, I have focused on how my writing word is interpreted by students through feedback. There needs to be a clear and concise intention to how you speak to your students.

What is your primary method of delivery of your feedback?  Do you think the text is essential?

One thought on “Task 2: Annotation Video

1. brian leavitt

Hi Kristin,
    I agree with you about longer videos and presentations. I also have trouble maintaining focus when it is longer than 30 or 45 minutes, whether it is a video, presentation, or even just a long Zoom meeting. This is a good way to have people regain focus. How do you think annotations could work with a live meeting/presentation?