Application Package

Below is my application package with an attached PDF file for a public health dental hygienist. The advertisement was listed on york.ca and indeed.ca for a registered dental hygienist with York Region Public Health.

The application package is attached below and includes:

• The job advertisement
  • A cover letter
  • A reverse chronological resume
  • Three letters requesting references

Job Advertisement

Registered Dental Hygienist – (1490)

Job Title : Registered Dental Hygienist

Status: Temporary Full-Time

Temporary – Approximate length of assignment, in months : 18

Type of Position: a Replacement

Start Date: Immediate

Salary Per hour: Salary Grade $46.43 – $50.47

Department: York Region -> Community & Health Services -> Public Health -> Child and Family Health

Location: Health Unit-Markham – 4261 Highway 7 East – Unionville, ON L3R 9W6 CA (Primary)

Job Description (E):

Position Purpose:

Reporting to the Manager, Child and Family Health, is responsible for providing Regional public health dental programs and services as outlined in the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care Mandatory Health Programs and Services Guidelines, under the Health Protection and Promotion Act; conducting dental screening and referral programs for children and youth; and providing clinical preventive services including topical fluoride applications, scaling, polishing, sealants and oral hygiene instruction.

Major Responsibilities:

• Schedules and conducts dental screening and surveys for pre-school and school-aged children in child care and Early Years centres, public health dental clinics, elementary schools and community settings.
  • Follows up on clinical findings by contacting parents and dental offices to ensure that the treatment is received; refers cases of suspected dental neglect and/or abuse to the Children’s Aid Society.
  • Performs preventive services such as polishing, scaling, topical fluoride applications and fissure sealants, for children and youth.
  • Refers clients to dentists and specialists on a regular basis and in case of emergency.
  • Responds to dental health inquiries from various people such as residents/parents, dental offices, health professionals and the community.
  • Assists the Manager with the procurement of dental supplies by communicating with dental supply companies on various issues including equipment repairs, quotations, orders, merchandise, credits and materials, as required.
  • Orders supplies and facilitates maintenance of clinical equipment.
  • Facilitates presentations to the community, to improve oral health awareness.
  • Assists in the development and delivery of oral health education resources, as assigned, and participates in health promotion initiatives.
  • Compiles records, reports and statistics for the Manager, as requested.
  • Assists in maintaining the inventory of clinical supplies and informs staff responsible for ordering when supplies are low.
  • Keeps current with new developments in public health dentistry by attending workshops, seminars, conventions and courses, as appropriate.
  • Performs other duties as assigned, in accordance with Branch and Department objectives.

Qualifications:

• Successful completion of a Community College Diploma in Dental Hygiene.
  • Current registration with the College of Dental Hygienists of Ontario and authorized by the College of Dental Hygienists of Ontario to self initiate.
  • Minimum three (3) years clinical experience.
  • Satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Check.
  • Valid Ontario Class “G” driver’s license and reliable vehicle to use on regional business.
  • Knowledge of relevant dental programs.
  • Knowledge of and demonstrated ability in corporate core competencies including communication, innovation, teamwork and collaboration, and personal ownership.
  • Knowledge of current dental office and dental laboratory procedures.
  • Computer literacy utilizing MS Office software applications, including word processing, spreadsheet and presentation software.

Scheduled Weekly Hours: 35

Scheduled Shifts

Operational Hours

Close Date: August 8, 2022

# of Hires Needed: 1

Union: CUPE 905 York Region

Please apply online by 4:30PM EST of the closing date indicated above. We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted via email.

All York Region Employees are required to be fully vaccinated with a COVID-19 vaccine series, approved by Health Canada or the World Health Organization, as a condition of hire. Should you be the successful candidate, you will be required to comply with the Region’s mandatory Vaccination Policy that is in effect.

York Region is an equal opportunity employer committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process. At the Region, we respect, encourage and celebrate our diversity. If contacted for an employment opportunity, please advise if you require Code-protected accommodation.

Job Advertisement Link: York Region. “Registered Dental Hygienist -1490”. York Region Careers, 27 July 2022, https://york.hua.hrsmart.com/hr/ats/Posting/view/1490/0

Cover Letter

123 Sesame Street

Loretto ON, A1B 2C3

August 8, 2022

Human Resource Director

York Region Health Unit

Marham ON L3R 9W6

Dear Human Resource Director:

Please consider my application for the position for a registered dental hygienist as advertised on July 27 on york.ca. I obtained my dental hygiene diploma and registration with the College on Dental Hygienists of Ontario in 2008 and became self-regulated in 2011. I am currently enrolled part-time at the University of British Columbia as a third-year dental hygiene student pursuing my Bachelor of Dental Science in Dental Hygiene.

As you can see from my enclosed resume for 14 years I have worked as a clinical dental hygienist including working with schools in the surrounding communities. The experience of working clinically and providing oral presentations to local classrooms has given me a clear understanding of the community’s oral health needs. Moreover, working with health professionals and clients has provided skills in communication and collaboration.

Technical writing is a crucial aspect of care; maintaining client records, providing referrals, and developing policies that are complete and detailed. Recently, I developed and wrote over 10 policies and procedures for the dental office, following guidelines for infection control, safety, and pandemic protocols. Writing the policies enhanced my skills with writing software and formatting.

As a registered health professional, I am aware of the importance of communication, collaboration, and time management for comprehensive oral health care. If you feel that my skills meet your needs, please contact me at your earliest convenience at 123-456-7890, or kvyfschaft@gmail.com.

Sincerely,

Kristy Vyfschaft, RDH

Resume

Kristy Vyfschaft
123 Seasame Street
Loretto, ON A1B 2C3

Phone: 123-456-7890
Email: kvyfschaft@gmail.com

Objective

Registered dental hygienist with public health.

Skills 

Self-initiated. CPR certified. Verbal and written communication.

Collaboration. Organization. Scheduling. Record keeping.

Orthodontics. Infection control. Radiography. Debridement.

Education

2021 – Present            University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia.
Bachelor of Dental Science in Dental Hygiene (BDSc); expected completion 2026.

Distance education, part-time. Studying policy analysis, epidemiology, and community treatment planning.

2006-2008                   Canadore College, North Bay, ON.
Dental Hygiene Diploma.

Grade point average above 3.75 upon graduation.

2005-2006                   Canadore College, North Bay, ON.
                                        Preparatory Health Science Certificate.

Experience

Nov 2009 – Present    Schomberg Dental and Orthodontics, Schomberg ON

Title: Registered Dental Hygienist and Health and Safety Officer. (full-time)
Began as part-time, promoted to full time, promoted to health and safety officer.

Treatment planning, scheduling, and caring for patients’ oral health or orthodontic needs (10 per day)

Developing and writing office policies for health and safety.
Presenting oral health and nutrition demonstrations at local schools.

June 2009-Dec 2009   Dr. Dimovski and Associates, Brampton ON

Title: Registered Dental Hygienist (part-time)

Providing clinical services for patients (8 per day)

Oral assessment, oral hygiene instructions, debridement, and polishing.

Oct 2008-June 2009    Family Dental on Broadway, Orangeville, ON

Preventive and therapeutic services to clients (8 per day); debridement, polishing, and radiographs.

Memberships

2008-Present               College of Dental Hygienists of Ontario

Self-Initiated in 2011

Good standing

2008-Present               Ontario Dental Hygienists Association

Malpractice insurance up to $5M

2016-Present               Canadian Dental Hygienists Association

Malpractice insurance up to $5M

References                 Available upon request

Reference Request Letters (3)

Letter 1

123 Sesame Street

Loretto ON, A1B 2C3

August 8, 2022

Jaimie Steward

Office Manager

Schomberg Dental

Schomberg ON

Dear Jaimie:

Thank-you for reading this letter. I am reaching out to ask you to provide a reference for a new professional opportunity I am seeking with the York Region public health unit. Please let me know as soon as possible if you area able to provide a reference.

Working together provided a lot of insight into the other aspects of the dental industry beyond clinical and I believe that offering your knowledge of my skills will increase my chances for this opportunity. The position at York Region requires excellent communication and technological skills, which I demonstrated and developed while working for you.

Thank-you for considering my request. I have attached the job posting and an updated resume for your review. The York Region human resources department will contact you if you are able to provide a reference.

If you have any questions or need further information, please contact me at 123-456-7890 or kvyfschaft@gmail.com.

Sincerley,

Kristy Vyfschaft, RDH

Enclosures 2

Letter 2

123 Sesame Street

Loretto ON, A1B 2C3

August 8, 2022

Dr. Robert Percy

Doctor of Dental Surgery

Schomberg Dental

Schomberg ON

Dear Dr. Percy:

Thank-you for your time. I am writing to ask for your reference for a new job prospect with the York Region public health unit. Please let me know as soon as possible if you can provide a reference.

Over 10 years our professional relationship developed to become collaborative and cohesive, and your long-term awareness of my skills will greatly improve my chances of obtaining the job. As you know, I am still practicing clinical dental hygiene which is related to the job position I am seeking but the new position requires further organizational and communication skills that I gained while working with you.

Thank-you for considering my request. I have attached the job posting and an updated resume for your viewing. York Region human resources will be in contact if you are able to provide a reference.

Sincerely,

Kristy Vyfschaft, RDH

Enclosures 2

Letter 3

123 Sesame Street

Loretto ON, A1B 2C3

August 8, 2022

Tammy Lewis

Health and Safety Manager

Candy Factory

Collingwood ON

Dear Tammy:

Thank-you for reading this letter. I am reaching out to request a professional reference for a position I am seeking with the York Region public health unit. Please let me know if you can commit to providing the reference.

While working with you I learned a lot about health and safety policies and policy writing. Your insights about my policy writing skills would greatly improve my chances of gaining the new employment with York Region. As you know, I am currently employed with Schomberg Dental working on the health and safety committee. The position at York Region requires skills in professional writing and formatting documents which I developed while working with you.

Thank-you for taking this request into consideration. I have attached the job posting and an updated resume for you to view. York Region human resources will contact you if you can provide a reference.

If you have any questions or need more information, please contact me at 123-456-7890 or kvyfchaft@gmail.com

Sincerely,

Kristy Vyfschaft, RDH

Enclosures 2

PDF Format of  Application Package: 301 Kristy Vyfschaft Application Package