Day 1 of Practicum!

It’s actually day one of school visits before practicum but it rhymed so it was much more appealing as a title.

Oh Kindergarten, you loud, crazy, energetic, creative, exciting and ‘insert more adjectives here’ how wonderful you are.

The biggest difference I have noticed, so far, between kindergarten and the upper grades is that the students often do not particularly care whether you interact with them or not. Some do really want your attention, most use you as a reference for their million and one questions, but they are just as happy while playing with their peers as they are when you read them a story. It truly is amazing to watch them find joy in everything they do.

The two stand-out features for my practicum placement are first, the community aspect of the classrooms and the entire school. This is something I have never encountered in my schooling or volunteer experiences. Being that I have only spent one day in this type of environment I am not quite sure how I feel about this set up yet, so stay tuned. Second, is the amount of English Language Learners. Again, I have never encountered this. I have experience with shy kids or ones that don’t want to speak very often but it was never because they didn’t have the words to do so. I can only imagine what these kids are going through. Being on the opposite side I found it frustrating to not be able to communicate with them effectively to be better able to understand their needs and attend to them.

Overall, I am grateful, excited and still a little nervous about being in a kindergarten classroom.

first-day-of-school

Noah, Priscilla, Vicky, Sarah and I during the lunch hour.