Monthly Archives: April 2017

Midpoint Viewpoint

Knowing that I am halfway through my long practicum is mind-blowing. The weeks have flown by with abandon and I have already accepted that I will likely cry on my last day in the classroom. As the weeks move forward and the amount of teaching increases I am beginning to feel more and more like a real teacher. Additionally, I have noticed that some students in the surrounding classrooms are having some troubles adjusting to a new teacher coming in, despite their familiarity with us, however I have not noticed this in my room.

This week I started to take over the constants in our time table: book times and calendar. On many days after lunch the students have book time, which include a portion of read to self and read to a friend. Since this has been the same throughout the year many do not need to be reminded that it is book time, but they do ask if we are starting with reading alone or with a friend. During this time I am often walking around observing while also holding a book to flip through in my hand. I find that while I am doing this the students are sometimes more quiet which allows everyone to concentrate better. The routine of book time after their lunch time is helpful because it gives the time for the students bodies to calm down from the excitement of outside and, if someone is late, once they do enter the classroom it becomes easy to figure out what their job is at that time.

Friday came as a long and awaited date for myself because it was Terry Fox Run day. I have been leading the organization of this even along with the support of fellow Teacher Candidates. Coordinating this event has allowed me to purposefully communicate with the PAC, vice principal, and other teachers throughout the school to ensure a successful run. Furthermore, I spoke at a staff meeting and a SAC meeting pass along information. As a committee we set up displays in the school, placed posters, and organized swag (tattoos and stickers) for the students before the run. Other roles I took on were coordinating with PAC and other teachers to create a new route for the intermediate run (gr. 4-8),
creating a flyer with general information to post on the school blog, and creating a document with information for teachers. Another responsibility I took on was running the primary (K-3) warm up. I will admit I was quite nervous about this, mostly due to the management of that many students in a large space where I am actively asking them to move around. Once the warm up was started my nerves went away – however, next time, I will remember to inquire about using a microphone. Ultimately I worked hard to ensure this event would be a success and I was very grateful to see it successfully come to fruition.

I sure hope the second half of practicum doesn’t go by as fast as the first did.

See Week 5 for more information.