Family Math and Science Day at UBC

Today I volunteered with the Family Math and Science Day held at UBC. It was free and the said they had about 800 people register online but the last count I took was around 350 people. I was assigned to the registers table, we had people sign in, write down how many people were in their groups, sign a photo release form is they wanted, and directed them to the rooms.

I noticed there were a lot of younger kids, around age 4 to 6, which was not what I expected. Some of the kids from my practicum were there, it was cute to see them outside of the classroom. After visiting the stations (there was math, physics, chemistry, biology and physics and music) I was amazed at all the different games and activities which the children loved. Some were more popular than others including the station that made a type of goo to take home, the chemistry one which blew the lid off a container and the liquid nitrogen presentation.

It was nice to see parents interacting with their children while simultaneously learning new things themselves. It was also interesting to see how the various volunteers interacted with the kids.