Teacher Profile

UBC Teacher Candidate Profile
2016-1017

Kyla Baker
kyla_baker2@hotmail.com

Academic Background

University of British Columbia       Vancouver, B.C.      Sept. 2016 – Current

Bachelor of Education – Kindergarten Integrated Primary Program Cohort

Thompson Rivers University      Kamloops, B.C.      Sept. 2014 – Dec. 2015

Bachelor of Arts – History Major

Northwest Community College      Terrace, B.C.       Aug. 2010 – Apr. 2012

Associates of Arts Degree

First Language, Other Languages and Proficiency

First language: English

French – I took French courses until grade 12 in high school and was part of a five-week French immersion bursary program in Quebec through Explore. I am confident that I could teach the basics of French to students however I am limited when conversing in the language.

Spanish – My knowledge of the Spanish language comes from when I was traveling throughout Central America in 2012. Last April I spoke Spanish while traveling in Cuba. Due to the fact that all of my Spanish was learned in a non-classroom setting it is limited to terms often used while travelling. Furthermore, I can understand much more of what is said over being able to communicate in response.

Work Experience

The majority of my work experience is retail however this has given me invaluable lessons to use in a classroom. From April 2014 to September 2015 I was the assistant manager at Ardene in Terrace and learned a variety of tactics to manage employees. Although students are much different than employees, it was at Ardene that I learned to alter my approach to make individualized motivation.

Volunteer Work

Suwilaawks Community School                                             Terrace, B.C.              2015

The school ranges from kindergarten to grade 7. While the majority of my time was spent in a grade 3/4 split class, I also joined in a grade 2 class and in kindergarten. Suwilaawks gave me the chance to experience DPA (designated physical activity) which the whole school did every morning.

Coaching Soccer – Terrace Youth Soccer Association           Terrace, B.C.              2006-2012*

ages ranged from 5/6 to 13/14 *These dates represent when I signed up to coach and did so with my own team for the year, there have been many times after this that I have helped assist different teams within the same age range

Working with children with Special Needs

My experience with children with special needs is primarily with my stepsister. She was diagnosed with mild Aspergers. I worked with her throughout a summer trying to accustom her with everyday activities, which she would be soon expected to do on her own. The main task we tackled was grocery shopping. This was difficult for her as it involves handling money, writing a list in advance, remembering bags, and possibly large crowds. My job was to help her through the trips by rationally thinking about items found in addition to the list and ensuring her to not give up when the desired item isn’t in view.

Teaching as a Vocation

I can honestly say I have wanted a teaching career for as long as I can remember. Throughout elementary school I enjoyed helping other students with their work and in grade seven I was part of a science program educating students at a primary school. At age 14 I began to coach soccer teams with an age range of 5/6 to 13/14. It was during these years that I began to realize teaching youth was not only something I could do but something I wanted to do. The support and praise coming from parents of players indicated that what I was doing had made their child’s experience both fun and educational which in turn made it a rewarding experience for me.

Cohort Selection

I chose the KIPP cohort because I have always enjoyed working with children. The look that kids give you when that lightbulb comes on when they understand what you were teaching them is the most rewarding moment. I look forward to receiving that look for the duration of my teaching career.

What are your hopes and expectations for the coming year? 

For the coming year I hope to complete my degree and gain lifelong friendships and connections. I strive to be able to find a way so that each and every student has the chance to not only learn but enjoy the learning process. I expect that it will be a long, sometimes tumultuous, experience; one of which I am thrilled to be a part of.

Extracurricular Activities/Interests

Soccer, reading, volleyball, baseball, knitting, and crafting