Shared Value

After class 15 I was very interested in the idea of “shared value” and how it can benefit multiple parties involved in a business issue. After researching and reading many external blog posts on shared values, there was one in particular that stood out to me that talked about the relationships between oil companies, the community of Fort McMurray, and the environment. I found it fascinating that a shared value business decision can be made with an industry that for the most part could be considered a burden on the environment and community.

Screen Shot 2014-11-03 at 3.01.52 PM

Clearcutting. Digital image. Wikipedia. N.p., 7 Oct. 2008. Web. 3 Nov. 2014.

Reading about the shared value in Fort McMurray led me to think about the main industries in my hometown of Revelstoke, BC, and what shared value business decisions had been made there. It occurred to me that within the last few decades, there have been changes to the logging and timber industry that involve new values to all involved parties. Most timber companies are now forced to replant the areas they have clear-cut. I always thought that this would be an inconvenient and profit decreasing requirement for the companies but now realize that the new rule actually brings value to everyone. It is a clear advantage for the environment as the forests are restored, a benefit to the economy in Revelstoke as more people are hired to do the tree planting work, and a long term advantage for the timber companies as they will be able to re-harvest the forests in the future.

This idea of helping companies, communities, and the environment is very exciting for me and is certainly something I would be interested in pursuing in the future!

Sources (external blog):

Wendel, Carina. “Collaboration in the Canadian Oil Sands.” Reimagining Social Change. N.p., 16 June 2013. Web. 3 Nov. 2014.

http://www.fsg.org/KnowledgeExchange/Blogs/CreatingSharedValue/PostID/492.aspx