Monthly Archives for September 2012

Return to Corn

On September 27, Bloomberg reported on what I feel (intuitively, and probably naively) was an inevitable plummet in the corn markets, due to the lower stocks and fragile demand patterns. “Corn for December delivery fell 0.8 percent to $7.19 a … Continue reading

30. September 2012 by Annie
Categories: The Road Ahead | Leave a comment

Rabobank AgriCommodity Markets Research

Since I am in Europe this week, I thought I would look into some European news sources. Rabobank is familiar to me as a sponsor of the Tour de France, but they produce monthly agricultural commodity reports with good summaries … Continue reading

30. September 2012 by Annie
Categories: Cool Source of Information | 2 comments

Missed the boat on an active week in corn markets

This was a week away from market news, which made me appreciate my last strategy of getting out of the volatile corn markets and moving into the more stable wheat markets. I ended the first week up more than $2000 … Continue reading

30. September 2012 by Annie
Categories: What Went Right/Wrong | Leave a comment

Wheat Weather

After Andrew Borden’s talk on Wednesday, I am intrigued by using weather to predict market movement. Therefore, I intend to spend the next week or so betting on global weather patterns. My split wheat position has treated me well, since … Continue reading

20. September 2012 by Annie

Up in Corn, Split in Wheat

This week I experimented in hedging by going both long and short in the same commodity. I successfully spent a few days making money in a short corn contract, but I wanted to try something more complicated, so I took … Continue reading

20. September 2012 by Annie
Categories: What Went Right/Wrong | 1 comment

Cool Source of Information: Commodity Trends

This week, after entering the market on corn futures, I decided to try a different commodity, since this is a good time to start understanding many sides of the market with simple trades. As a newcomer to market trading of … Continue reading

20. September 2012 by Annie
Categories: Cool Source of Information | Leave a comment

USDA trends and the resilience of corn influence a short position

I decided to start my trading with corn, since I am most familiar with the sight of expansive fields of it, as a former US Midwesterner. My few farmer friends are in the Midwest, and the drought this year has … Continue reading

17. September 2012 by Annie

Gateway to domestic price hikes

The Northern Gateway Pipeline from Alberta to Kitimat will send Albertan oil to the Pacific Rim, in which the largest market in the current discussion is China. In a simple exercise in supply and demand, this will raise the price … Continue reading

07. September 2012 by Annie
Categories: Uncategorized | 1 comment