Food for thought

To go sushi

July 6th, 2012 · No Comments

I got this sushi to go from Station Square in Burnaby and I live a few blocks from the restaurant, so travel time does not seem to be an issue in this case. The sushi I ordered came in a Styrofoam box and the contents in the picture above. The rolls consisted of California roll, tuna roll, and salmonĀ  rolls. The overall ingredients seemed energy efficient since most of the ingredients do not require cooking or modification, other than the rice.

I think in the case of this box of to go sushi the main issue is the rice and to go packaging. The rice seems to be a concern because rice is not grown in BC so I assume that the rice is imported from Asia. The cultivation of rice has caused the loss of potential energy, and the clear cutting and plowing of land has encouraged the business aspect in society. With the loss of potential energy in the natural world, it seems to take more energy to produce a crop than the crop is actually providing. Also a major issue with to go food is that there is a lot of unnecessary packaging that goes into the product. For instance with my sushi they gave me multiple chopsticks, soy sauce packages, and an unusually excessive amount of napkins. This all seems like a waste of oil as all these products required energy or oil to be created. Chopsticks and napkins also in turn kill the trees we used to create them. I’m not saying I just tossed the contents in the trash, because I don’t I keep them in a single drawer, but I cant say all customers save the contents. So the main lesson in this case is to perhaps consider eating in, or even consider giving back the extra napkins, chopsticks, and soy sauce when you really have no need for them.

Tags: Uncategorized

0 responses so far ↓

• There are no comments yet...Kick things off by filling out the form below.