Do What You Love

This is arguably the most famous quote from the classic movie, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, and it’s particularly important in a university setting. When our motivation to attend Sauder comes up, my peers generally admit they are motivated mostly by the job security having a BCom from a reputable school would (hopefully!) bring them.  

When Tom Dobrzanski walked into the room to speak to our Comm class, I didn’t realize that he was a part of a band that has been on my iPod for years. I was amazed by his fusion of his love for music and his business acumen in creating Monarch Studios, filling an the need for a mid-size studio that could produce professional sound quality without the strings inherent in a big record label.

(courtesy of “The Globe and Mail”)

His example is truly inspirational to a business student such as myself. I especially liked the anecdote of how he would come to class with sawdust on his shoes from building his first studio in his parents’ basement- it just goes to show that with hard work and a little bit of ingenuity, you can create your own job and cater you life to your interests. His lecture reaffirmed my determination to use my business degree in a way that I find engaging, and make sure I never miss  an opportunity to combine my interests with my career.

18. November 2012 by Lara Stevens
Categories: Uncategorized | 1 comment

One Comment