Popular Culture in Latin America

Posted by: | January 26, 2009 | Comments Off on Popular Culture in Latin America

Despite being very long, this journal article was by far the best (out of the ones we have read so far). It captivated me for all 101 pages of it. Some of the pages did drag a tad bit but overall I was very pleased with the read.

The parts I enjoy were the ones in which the author talked about traditional cultures not becoming extinct in Latin America but instead becoming the focus of what is different in Latin America as opposed to North America. Most of information about the Amerindians i knew before, as I have been to Brazil, Venezuela and Argentina, which all have the issues with their native populations being extremely poor (as Schelling and William have stated). For someone who has never been to Latin America or studied Latin American culture this section could have proved very useful.

This essay really takes you to those remote locations of South and Latin America such as Mexico and Bolivia among others. I also enjoyed the parts that explained the Cultural traditions and the ways in which they were created. The parts about the colonial powers and religious institutions playing large roles in both the formation and creation of certain cultural aspects of Latin America.

It’s funny when comparing these cultural rituals and histories to my own North American cultural I find some similarities and many differences. This is because the Amerindians here were not so heavily influential into our infrastructure when we were a young nation, and they did not mix as much with the immigrating population. They still too suffered many of the same unfortunate diseases, weapons and slaver as they’re Latin American counter parts. Its funny because when one thinks about specifically North American culture, people think of fast food and consumerism, but when one thinks about Latin America they picture the natives and the rich ancient history that lies within its holdings.

Comments

Name (required)

Email (required)

Website

Speak your mind