What is the role of an audience?

The keyword I picked for my blog is ‘audience’. I found the definition of the Keyword Audience interesting and appreciated that how the definition was tied to the themes we have explored during class discussions.

Reading this definition, I picked up on two main points. One being that depending on the situation an audience can be a bad thing “or a force to be celebrated”, the second point explores the role of an audience. Both of these points are very powerful, and before reading this definition I would not have associated them with ‘audience’. So, what is the role of an audience? Who is the audience? It is easy to distinguish the speaker(s) from the audience in events such as concerts, where the speaker is the performer and the audience are the people that have bought tickets to watch the performance. Extrapolating this to other situations gets trickier. For example, in the academia, where thousands of scholars contribute to the conversation by writing about their findings. Scholars then read the work of others, add on to it or ask questions and then publish their own work. So it seems, asking questions or starting conversations can one make go from being a member of the audience to a speaker.

Is this always true?

One particular sentence from the definition made me pause; “settlers wonder what decolonization will look like for themselves, effectively rejecting their role as audience and speaking over Indigenous peoples”

Why does wondering what decolonization will look mean rejecting the role of audience? Why is this considered speaking over Indigenous peoples? If non-Indigenous people are turning to Indigenous people regarding an Indigenous topic, it means non-Indigenous people know they don’t have the answer. Are members of the audience always meant to stay as part of the audience and never to become speakers?

Decolonization: How Far Will We Actually Get?

I found “Introduction” by Linda Tuhiwai Smith, Eve Tuck, and K. Wayne Yang to be the most thought- provoking reading from this unit.

The concept of decolonization is new to me, but from our in-class discussion it seemed to me that this should be a team effort. That is, both indigenous and non-indigenous peoples need to work on it together. However, I found Yang and Tuck’s text confusing. Some of the points made seemed to contradict each other. Firstly, the authors set the tone by explaining how decolonization efforts have been one-sided, with only indigenous scholars being proactive while “white settler scholars can only imagine decolonization as philosophical and theoretical” (Tuck 10). By saying this they seem to be encouraging white settlers to start pulling their weight and get to work. A couple pages after this they go on to say that after white settler scholars read indigenous works and start asking questions, “they drain the energy and imagination of indigenous scholarship- they pester, they think are unique, and they are boring” (Tuck 16)

How encouraging is that?

One of the main take-aways I got from reading Yang and Tuck’s intro was the idea that indigenous and non-indigenous peoples think very differently, and that this is the reason we haven’t successfully tackled decolonization: “Again, something being purportedly too theoretical is often the reason that Indigenous work is discarded or disregarded, whereas that ‘too theoretical’ idea may be entirely practical, life- sustaining, and life-promoting for an Indigenous reader” (Tuck 15). This text portrayed one way of thinking as being superior to the other. Who is to say which is better?  Furthermore, Tuck adds that “being an Indigenous scholar in the settler academy is like listening to someone go on and on about the dilemmas of cab rides while knowing that the subway system is just beneath the surface.”  Seeing things this way will not get us very far.

I Am From poem & get to know me!

I am from izote
From volcanoes and palm trees
And the pacific ocean
I am from plants
Green, alive.
Tall

From valuable
From Ana
And Nelson
From lavender
And sugar cane

I am from the comal
Grilling, cooking
Salt,
Monstera,
And prayer as a family.

Hello! My name is Camila. I am a fourth year Microbiology and Immunology student in the faculty of sciences. I was born in El Salvador but moved to Vancouver with my family in 2011.
During my free time, I enjoy hiking, running, working out and spending time with friends. I love my specialization, and I am excited to start this new school year.  I am really excited to be in this class with my sister and one of my closest friends! As far as the class material goes, I am excited to learn more about latin american history for a change.  I remember not enjoying social studies in high school because I felt I could not relate to the material as it was mainly Canadian history. I am hopeful this course will teach me more about my culture, allowing me to appreciate it more.  I only wish we had gotten the chance to go to all the food trucks! I am very excited to be in this class and hopefully get to know everyone! Lastly, I thought I’d share a photo of one of the hikes I did this summer 🙂