Garifunan Durudias and Salvadoran Pupusas.

This week, I found the video about Durudias really interesting. Being Salvadoran, I love tortillas and pupusas- they are my “comfort food”. I enjoyed watching the Durudia video because I was able to see the differences and similarities between Durudias and Salvadoran tortillas and pupusas. It’s interesting that although Honduras and El Salvador are so close to each other and we share similar history, our traditional foods are unique to our country. In El savador, tortillas are only made from corn flour and water. I was shocked when I saw Durudias contain coconut milk and sugar, but I definitely want to try them! In the video, Isha said they enjoy putting beans and cheese on their tortillas, which reminded me of our Salvadoran pupusas. Pupusas are tortillas stuffed with cheese, refried beans and/or pork. It was very interesting to see how the journey of Garifunia people can be observed in their food. I enjoyed watching Isha’s family come together to eat Durudias in the video which reminded me of my family. Growing up, there were always fresh tortillas in our house, and they would be served as a side dish along with most meals. On weekends, my family would often go to a pupuseria- where they make pupusas. Sometimes my grandma, cousins and aunt would also come to the pupuseria to eat with us. After moving to Canada, pupusas were one of the first things we started to miss from El Salvador (besides the tropical weather). We have been fortunate enough to be able to go back to El Salvador every year for Christmas, and when we are there, my sister and I eat pupusas everyday! Below is a photo of some pupusas 🙂

2 thoughts on “Garifunan Durudias and Salvadoran Pupusas.”

1. Hi Camila,
    It is so nice to see someone from El Salvador in our class! You must have really enjoyed this unit’s reading then, and I do understand where you are coming from, especially since there is always this feeling of warmth when one familiarizes themselves with something they are reading and connect it to aspects of their home (probably one of the main reasons I took this class!). It was also intriguing to see how, despite El Salvador and Honduras sharing similar history as you mentioned, they each have food unique to their country, which proves how throughout the time, cultures and communities adapt, making sure they are still tied to their roots.

2. Hi Camila,

Thank you for sharing the pupusa picture! One of my best friends is from Salvador, and she introduced me to them. I really enjoyed them. What you and Khushi are sharing resonates with me, one of the things I miss the most from home is food, and watching the video about durudias reminded me about family gatherings. Thanks for sharing and I hope you are able to eat pupusas soon!

Fernanda