Keyword: cultural appropriation

For this post I will reflect on the keyword “cultural appropriation”. I think in the past few years, issues revolving around cultural appropriation have gained more attention than ever before. I really like the paraphrased definition that this group came up with. They key part of their definition is “… without permission or without acknowledgment to the cultural meanings …” Many people don’t seem to have a problem “taking aspects of a certain culture, such as practices, or aesthetics”, but its the lack of permission and acknowledgment that’s the problem. The last paragraph really stood out to me and reminded me of many celebrities: “cultural appropriation can also be broadened to resources such as clothing, and food.” I like the example this group gave about Madonna; another recent example I can think of off the top of my head is Adele who was accused of cultural appropriation over her Instagram post where she appears dressed in a bikini with the Jamaican flag and wearing a traditional African hairstyle (Bantu knots). With Halloween coming up, I was reminded of many times in highschool when students would wear very offensive costumes, and they were rarely called out for it. One of the most common costumes that was worn at highschool parties was an “Indian” costume, specifically a “sexy Indian” costume. The truth is, back then (2013-2016), these sorts of costumes were only called out by a few people. Fortunately nowadays, it is a completely different story. I am curious to know if Halloween stores (like Spirit Halloween) still uses offensive labels to categorize their costumes. One point I would like to make is that the line between cultural appropriation and cultural appreciation can, in some cases, be very fine. I think many times people have good intentions and don’t mean to offend anybody, but that’s exactly what they end up doing, usually because of lack of acknowledgement to the cultural meaning behind what has been taken/used. This is precisely why it is crucial for everybody to understand the term “cultural appropriation” in its entirety.

3 thoughts on “Keyword: cultural appropriation

1. KhushiMalhotra

Hi Valentina!
    I loved reading your reflection because you brought up examples that had to do with our everyday lives and really made me question the line between cultural appreciation versus cultural appropriation as well! Regarding your connection to Halloween, although I agree with you about the fact that children often dress up as “Indians” (I have witnessed quite a few of these costumes myself) would you say that the parents are to blame? That is something thst I was left thinking about after I read your blog, maybe we can discuss this more!

2. katerina vyskotova

Hello Valentina! Your post was very informative and educational at the same time. It made me reflect on my own knowledge about “cultural appropriation” and “cultural acknowledgment” and the errors that I used to engage in before I came to Canada. Yes I honestly believe I was one of the people who as a child dressed up as “Indians” without realizing how harmful and insulting it can be to a different culture. In my culture terms like “cultural appropriation” are never discussed. First time I encountered this term was when I came to study at UBC. I learned to understand and to be more aware of my own behaviour in regards to different cultures and nationalities 🙂

3. Emma Wong

Hi Valentina! I thought your post was done very well. I liked the example you provided as it discussed the role mass media plays in the dissemination of culturally appropriated practices. While cultural appropriation is, without a doubt, an issue, I think that a lot of people are confused about what is and what isn’t considered cultural appropriation. I think that it’s important for people to realize that there’s a difference between cultural appropriation and cultural exchange, the former having to do with taking an aspect of someone’s culture and altering it to fit Western ideals. Cultural exchange, on the other hand, can be seen in places such as Gyeongbokgung palace (경복궁) where tourists can rent hanbok (한복) in order to better immerse themselves in Korean history and Korean culture (without altering anything to fit Western ideals).