“I am from” poem

“I am from” by Cynthia Lightbody

I am from barley

from the mountains, maple trees

and the Okanagan Lake.

I am from cherry tomatoes

sweet, round

acidic.

From lessons about poisonous plants and understanding tide schedules,

From Opa

and Brenda.

From chamomile

and blackberries.

I am from the long wooden spatula

stirring,

garbanzo beans,

rhododendrons,

and Sunday night dinners.

My name is Cynthia and I am in my fourth year at UBC. I grew up in North Vancouver, and still live there now with my parents and two younger sisters. I was originally planning to major in Psychology, but switched my major to Spanish. I decided to take LAST303 to learn more about a topic that I discovered I am super interested in! I am very excited for this course 🙂

3 thoughts on ““I am from” poem

1. KhushiMalhotra

Hi Cynthia! I am Khushi, extremely excited to meet you especially after reading the word garbanzo beans! I am a huge fan of garbanzo beans, they are really common in my culture (I am Indian but my family currently lives in Peru). What an interesting switch between Psychology and Spanish, I am sure you will enjoy Spanish, it truly is a wonderful language. Hope to get to know you soon!

2. Sophia-Joe lunny

I think its interesting that we both chose Barley, and we both from the north shore! Chamomile is another one I considered, and rhododendrons are iconic to north vancouver for me.

3. Tamara Mitchell

Your poem is timely, as the cherry tomatoes are presently sweet, round, acidic, and delicious 🙂 So glad to have you as a Spanish major, Cynthia… and glad to have you in LAST303! Welcome!