The House on Mango Street

This blog post is going to be a bunch of random thoughts mushed together!

I remember one of my little sisters bringing home “The House on Mango Street” in grade 7 and asking me for help with the assigned questions.  She kept saying she didn’t understand the point of the book, and didn’t know why the chapters were so short.  Looking back, I can understand why someone in grade 7 might not understand the ‘point’ of this particular book.  The problem is that they are always looking for a point.  It’s interesting that at the beginning Sandra Cisneros even says that she didn’t want to write a book that “a reader won’t understand and would feel ashamed for not understanding” (xvii).  On the topic of shame, one of the biggest ‘themes’ (not sure if it’s a theme in the book but whatever) that stood out to me throughout this book was in fact shame.  Esperanza talks about her aunt being ashamed, herself being ashamed, etc.

Just like with Piri and Antonio, we are able to follow Esperanza’s  ‘journey’ and witness her growth; however with this book, for first time we are presented with a female protagonist.  One part that really stood appears in what’s perhaps one of the shortest chapters I have ever seen: “Those Who Don’t” (28). The chapter begins with the following: “Those who don’t know any better come into our neighbourhood scared.  They think we are dangerous.  They think we will attack them with skinny knives.  They are stupid people who are lost and got here by mistake.” (28).  It’s interesting that Esperanza uses “we”; she clearly identifies very closely with her community, but on the other hand, we see later on that her own community also causes her problems.  What’s clear at the beginning is that she wants to be involved and play an active role in her community.  Esperanza is also always talking about what she wants in the future; it’s as if she is rushing the experience of growing up.  I think this is a very relatable feeling for many young girls.  On page 73 she says: “I want to be all new and shiny”.  In other chapters she talks about wanting to own her own house, being held by a boy, etc.  She also doesn’t consider herself like other girls, and she makes it clear; she doesn’t even “cross the street like other girls” (72).  Esperanza seems to like having responsibilities, no matter how small or big they are.  “One day I’ll own my own house, but I won’t forget who I am or where I came from.” (87).  This is just one example where I began to think about the whole idea of ‘pride’ and the role it has played in this book, as well as the others.  My question is: what role does pride play in this book?

On page 56 we learn that her abuelito has died and because she is the oldest, the responsibility is on her to tell the others.  She has never seen her father cry before, she has never seen him vulnerable; now she is holding him in her arms. I remember seeing my dad cry for the second time when my grandmother died; it’s such a strange feeling seeing your parents in a vulnerable state, and having to comfort them instead of the other way around.  I don’t think Esperanza ever thought she would see her father like that and have to comfort him, after all, he is a ‘man’.

I was thinking about a question Jon asked us last week:  is this Esperanza’s story or is this every young female Chicano’s story?

4 thoughts on “The House on Mango Street

1. craig campbell

Hey Cynthia,

I agree with what you said about a preteen reading this book and understanding it. I think a preteen can relate to some of the growing pains Cisneros includes. But i think it has a greater impact to read House on Mango Street as an adult. I think we can all (even Curtis) relate to some of the growing pains. Even if we are from a noncultural family (by this I mean those of us without any traditions or heritage linked to a cultural past), we can relate to what it is like. We can see the humour in how she puts it. It’s like watching Sesame Street as an adult. Sure kids can get into it, but it was so carefully written that some nuances only adults will understand. I think the same thing can be said about this novel. A preteen might not get the element of rape (at least I hope they don’t) although it does serve as a starting point for discussion of topics they need (unfortunately) to learn about.

Cheers, and stay healthy!
    Craig

2. cynthia lightbody Post author

Hi Craig!

Sorry, looking back my post is kind of unclear. I definitely agree with you that it has a greater impact to read it as an adult! I think people in grade 7 who read it are reading it to answer that standard, specific ‘comprehension’ like questions, which in my opinion, is not the way to go about understanding this book. Your example of the rape is what I was thinking of as well. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think in many schools, this book was prohibited from being taught.

You stay healthy too! 🙂

3. Anonymous

Hey Cynthia!

I like your focus on wants and responsibilities. Esperanza wants a house to live in, a boy to love her, and to contruct her own path. However, she also has things she has to do (care for her grieving father and to be a big sister). I love the way the story is told, through the eyes of the girl growing up and maturing rather than an omnipresent narrator. It allows us to connect these scenes in the book to moments in our own lives that trigger a powerful emotional response. I believe this is a phenomenal book.
    Take care!

-Curtis HR

4. Jon

I’m very interested in shame and pride, which are after all at first sight opposites. How come they both seem to feature so prominently in this book?