Introductory Blog Post

Hi everyone 🙂

My name is Laura and I am a third year psychology student. I was born and raised in Vancouver. In my spare time I like to snowboard and cook. I look forward to getting to know you all through out the term!

I am taking this course for a few different reasons. One is that I find that since I began university, I do not read as much as I used to, and the times I do read tend to be textbooks or academic papers. By having to read literature for this course, I hope it will help me feel more as though I am reading for pleasure while also being productive with school. I also look a class done in a similar format with Jon last year, and really enjoyed the class and wanted to have an experience like that again. I also enjoy learning about history and culture in different areas of the world, so I think many of the themes and topics we discuss will be interesting.

I do not have much experience with Latin American literature, but I am excited to have the opportunity to read and then discuss it with my peers, especially when everything can be interpenetrated so differently, it is always interesting to hear different perspectives. I also am excited to learn about the authors lives and things that influenced the creation of these pieces. I find it fun to read something somewhat blindly, then learn about what influenced it, and have your opinions reshaped.

My question for discussion is: What is your favourite thing you’ve ever read? It could be a book, article, comic, etc, anything goes

2 thoughts on “Introductory Blog Post

1. jasmine

hi laura,
    I agree with you that this class brings a lot of new and different perspectives and contexts to the normal reading experience. To answer your question, I randomly had this children’s anthology poetry book and it happened to have a few of my favourite poems by rumi and emily dickinson. So, I think thats my favourite thing that I’ve read.

(also it’s nice to see you again too!)

2. julienne aguinaldo

Hi Laura, nice to meet you! I too am excited to see how this course would play out throughout the term, especially since you won’t see the same exact people (more or less) so we will have a lot of opportunity to listen to various perspectives on different concepts and things. My favorite thing I’ve read was Norweigan Wood by Haruki Murakami. It was the first book I’ve read written by an Asian author and the way he writes is so much different than what I was used to as I read mainly Danielle Steel and Nicholas Sparks.