Flight Path

As a dual credit coordinator, I work with students transitioning into postsecondary training, specifically students who enrol in trades programs. Students attend the local college to gain their Level 1 training, while at the same time achieve Grade 12 elective credits towards their graduation program.

In education today, integrating technology into learning is typically thought to be computer based. “The word technology has been appropriated, in both the popular imagination and in most educational circles, by those who identify it solely with computers” (Benenson, 2002. p2). However, “technology” is a much broader concept, and in terms of the trades, it varies from hand-tools, drafting tools, power tools, pencils, laser printers, laser cutters and computer technology. Because I work with students in the vocational arts, I see the impact that emerging technologies has on their learning. Technology affords students the ability to create. They learn how to use emerging technologies and then apply this knowledge in practical application.

One of my main learning objectives in this course is to become more proficient in applying emerging technologies in practical applications. While I thoroughly enjoy reading about learning theory and applying it to learning, I would like to improve my practical skills in computer application. I hope to gain more competency working with technologies in the area of student learning management systems (LMS) and blog sites. I have become more confident using technology in the area of video applications, but I would like to improve my abilities in creating LMS and student-friendly blog sites that can be used in the classroom.

Benenson, G. (2002). Introducing technology as a school subject: a collaborative design challenge for educators. Journal of Industrial Teacher Education, 39(3), 1-17.

One response to “Flight Path