Monday Feb 25th, 2019: Firas Moosvi

*Note – this meeting was rescheduled from February 11th

Firas Moosvi is a Learning Scientist working on the UBC Learning Analytics Project. In this session, he will discuss the potentials of Learning Analytics to surface classroom inequities.

“Though the field of learning analytics is new to me, I continue to be fascinated by its potential to transform teaching practice. For the first part of this LAVA meeting, I will present examples of how Learning Analytics has been used to surface trends of classroom inequities to instructors and institutions. Inequities include everything from gender, ethnicity, prior knowledge, and even personalities. I have a couple of papers already, but if you know of any examples that you thought are particularly striking, feel free to send them my way! In the second part, I hope to generate some discussion with the following prompt: “It is our responsibility as members of a university community to help highlight and address classroom inequities (where possible). No prior readings, come by for a fun and (maybe) spirited discussion! As always, standard disclaimer: views and opinions are my own.”