Monthly Archives: January 2020

Book Discussion: The Technology Fallacy

I’d like to discuss the: “The Technology Fallacy” a book that has emerged from the annual work that MIT and Deloitte have partnered on, with Coming of Age Digitally being the most recent version. The book digs deeper into the topic and provides a view across multiple years of the study.

Digital transformation is hard. There are many aspects and complexities to consider in the transformation. The authors: Gerald C. Kane, Anh Nguyen Phillips, Jonathan R. Copulsky, and Garth R. Andrus have provided a strong view into the complexities, considerations and thoughtfulness needed when pursuing a Digital transformation. And, right from the cover, they make it clear that people are the key to success (and I’ll add, the reason why transformation are so hard!).

By moving from a short publication to a full book, there’s space to get much more detailed – providing more insights and more guidance. Kane et al, take advantage of this space by offering a more fine-grained look at the data through the lens of Digital Maturity, which they define as: “aligning an organization’s people, culture, structure, and tasks to compete effectively by taking advantage of opportunities enabled by technological infrastructure, both inside and outside the organization.” Viewing transformation as an ongoing activity related to continuous growth and maturity appeals. Too often, transformation appears within organizations as “the” goal, an end state. Such a view misses the point of being digital and will lead to poor choices and disappointment. Further, this view on maturity is also helpful as it takes a broad view of the alignment needed to take advantage of technology. We can’t just focus on org structure or just some training. Without alignment, it will be impossible to build the trust needed to take chances, gaps in knowledge, or share vulnerability. And in a world of volatility, uncertainty, complexity and ambiguity (VUCA) – how far cannot we get without trust?

A few additional things I’d like to highlight:

• Importance of ongoing learning, adjustments and planning is critical to the success of having a digital strategy. If the digital world is dynamic and continuously changing, how can you have a strategy that is static and followed like a script?
  • “In a digital environment, organizations must shift from a world of ‘scalable efficiency’ to one of ‘scalable learning.” This quote is introduced in discussions about “Digital Leadership” highlighting that there is a significant change in mindset needed – both from leadership and throughout the organization. Who cares about efficiency if we’re not creating the right products or offering the right services?
  • Continuing on the topic of leadership, this following quote is important both for how we work and how we learn: “To enable change, organizations must harness effective leadership at all levels of the company….digitally maturing organizations are less hierarchical and drive more decision making down to lower levels, where those decisions can be made more quickly and in a more informed way.” This flattening of the organization is critical both for executing and for learning – with the two moving in lockstep.
  • STEAM vs. STEM: I’m a fan of discussing STEAM rather than just STEM and appreciated seeing Kane et al. embracing this view as well. Diversity of backgrounds is needed in organizations and the teams within – and that diversity needs to include the arts.
  • And one last quote that I’ll highlight sets the stage for discussion: “A key facet of developing digital talent is cultivating a growth mindset. Of course, no matter how much of a growth mindset you nurture, not everyone in your organization is capable of learning advanced technical skills, like Hadoop or machine learning. Yet, everyone can become more digitally literate, learn to adapt better to change, and think more critically—the skills our survey respondents identify as most important for success.”

And, if you prefer videos to reading, there’s quite a bit of related video available. As a bit of a primer on the topic, check out this video:

And there are a few deeper dives available as follows:

1. The Technology Fallacy: An Introduction
  2. Technology Fallacy: Episode 1: Intro to Knowing-Doing Gap
  3. Technology Fallacy: Episode 2: Digital Absorption
  4. Episode 3: Digital Affordances
  5. Episode 4: Digital Attraction
  6. Episode 5: Digital Agility

Overall, the book is excellent and provides quite a bit to discuss and consider. I’ve touched upon some initial key thoughts and will look to add further commentary in future posts. In the meantime, here are a few questions to get discussion started:

• How are you seeing success in building a growth mindset?
  • How are you building teams that embrace and benefit from diversity?
  • How are you ensuring that everyone has digital literacy?

First Peoples Principles of Learning

As we start this conversation, I would like to take this opportunity to acknowledge the traditional territories of the people of the Treaty 7 region in Southern Alberta. The City of Calgary is also home to Métis Nation of Alberta, Region III.

This seems like the right way to start this post as we’ll be taking a look at the First Peoples Principles of Learning – produced by the First Nations Education Steering Committee. If you’ve not done so already, I highly recommend reviewing this resource. When thinking about Digital Learning (aka new ways of learning), it can be beneficial to look broadly for inspiration and embrace diversity.

First Peoples Principles of Learning
First Peoples Principles of Learning

This has a been a great resource for helping me to think about learning – both for myself as an individual and as I think about impacting learning across an organization. Here are a few of my favourite parts:

• “Learning involves patience and time.”: Yes, the pace of change is faster than ever – and accelerating – but it still takes patience and time to (truly) learn. We need to have patience for how we learn and as we design new learning ecosystems, we need to incorporate time and patience into the ecosystem itself. In the discussion about MS Teams, I highlighted how we introduced patience and time into an Agile Coaching Academy.
  • “Learning is holistic, reflexive, reflective, experiential, and relational….”: I see each of us, our teams, and endeavors as part of a larger ecosystem within an organization. Further, we also are part of the larger ecosystem of our individual lives, governments and other organizations. Our interconnectedness brings the potential for enormous complexity and nuance. To learn, we need to be able to reflect, experience and relate our efforts to other people, organizations, situations, and ideas. It is interesting to see how many of these ideas (“see the whole”, retrospectives, experiments, etc.) are embedded into agile and DevOps approaches.
  • Learning requires exploration of one’s identity.”: Knowing who we are as learners can help us to find better ways to learn (which reminds me of the Introverts Guide to Mobile Learning). Further as someone creating learning solutions, we need to be mindful of our learners. Drawing on design thinking and human centered design are reflections of the need to explore identity.
  • Learning is embedded in memory, history and story.”: We’re surrounded by context, experience, relationships, legacy thinking and our stories. Our learning is shaped by these aspects and then shapes them for future learning.

And considering the set of items above (and the larger set of principles) – it highlights the importance of considering our culture (values, norms, behaviors) as we embrace and support new ways of learning.

Which of the principles resonate most with you? How would you use them in your learning? How would you use them with your organization? What other principles do you consider in guiding how your organization learns? How do they guide your learning?

A Primer on Digital Transformations

I encourage you to take a look at a recent publication from Deloitte (via Wired Magazine) titled: “Digital Transformation: A Primer.” There are some very good concepts highlighted in this primer that can help you gain an appreciation for Digital Transformation (including Digital Learning).

They helpfully provide the following definition for Digital Transformation:

“Digital transformation is all about becoming a digital enterprise—an organization that uses technology to continuously evolve all aspects of its business models (what it offers, how it interacts with customers and how it operates).”

Some additional aspects that are worth noting:

• The Venn diagram showing the overlap of transforming the business and transforming the organization is particularly useful. I appreciate the focus on culture, new ways of working and building capabilities.
  • The lenses through which to view transformation guide us to think broadly. We need to be careful that we do not limit ourselves or look at transformation too narrowly. From the list of lenses, I’m particularly interested in “Experiences & Engagement”, “Culture & Leadership”, “Organization & Workforce” and “Ambitions & Aspirations.” I’d even argue that this is where I’d start – as they provide the best foundation for learning. And if we’re learning, we can better tackle the other lenses.
  • Speaking of ambitions – the advice for tackling ambitions is solid and worth keeping in mind. I like to share this idea (paraphrasing from Alice in Wonderland) – “If you don’t know where you are going, any road will get you there.” If we are going to decentralize, democratize and empower learners – we better have clarity about our ambitions and make it easy for everyone to pursue.
  • And last, but not least, it’s useful to have a model like Imagine, Deliver, Run to guide efforts to pull all of this together. The focus on iterative, incremental, and learning as you go serves the transformation and reinforces the learning mentality needed.

If your transformation is already in flight, what ambitions are you pursuing? How are you aligning learning and the larger transformation? What lessons have you learned along the way that you wish you had known at the outset of your journey?

Digital Transformation Reading: “Coming of Age Digitally”

Coming of Age Digitally: Learning, Leadership and Legacy” is a joint publication from MIT and Deloitte discussing findings from the 2018 Digital Business Executive Study and Research Project. The findings are based on a global survey of over 4000 managers, execs and analysts. The research is further augmented by 17 interviews with execs and thought leaders. This research has been performed for a few consecutive years and provides some interesting insights in digital transformations (and learning!). I’m a fan of the publication for many reasons, here are a few:

• Digital maturity: I worry that Digital Transformation is seen as an event, goal or end state. The approach of discussing maturity and that we are always maturing resonates. It aligns with the idea that we are continuously learning, improving and adapting. Life is not static – there isn’t an end state for digital transformation. This also nicely aligns with the idea of having a growth mindset. All this is critically important as digital transformation is difficult.
  • Stories and data: We relate to stories. Assessments of current state, setting of ambitions and charting a new path is difficult without insights into the experiences of others. Learning from the experience of others is valuable as it accelerates our own learning. Further, using external stories is a great way to open up a discussion.
    • While data is discussed throughout the paper, the end of the paper provides details on the questions from the survey and the responses.
  • Progressing through iterations and experiments: The path of maturing and progressing is not simple nor linear. We need to find our way – figuring out the complexity of people, technology, markets, business models, operating models, customer models, and the larger ecosystem. Experiments are the means to finding our way. Further, how we approach experiments and the learning that occurs speaks to the maturity of the organization. Embracing and sharing progress and results from experiments is healthy and drives maturity (and growing maturity guides us to embrace and share results!). Most experiments lead to new discoveries – which is a nice way of saying, we get a result different than expected. In simple terms, we’d call this a failed experiment. But, I find that many organizations aren’t ready to embrace the idea of failures as a “good thing.”
  • The criticality of learning: The data reflects the need to focus on learning for everyone in the organization. Further, it highlights the digital mindset, culture and pace of change that differentiates digital learning. At the timing of this survey, almost half of respondents recognize the need for continuous learning. I expect that this number is going to climb and soon everyone in the organization will recognize and demand support for continuous learning.
  • Maturing companies build skills (continuously!): Organizations that are more digitally mature focus on building the skills of their employees. This connects back to the first point – transformations are not an end point. There needs to be a focus on continuous learning and development.

Here’s a video of the publication’s authors discussing the study:

I’m interested to hear your thoughts on the study, the stories and the interpretations. And here’s a few questions to jumpstart the discussion:

• Which data points stand out most? Where there any data points that surprised you?
  • Are you seeing any published data / surveys that show different viewpoints?
  • How do the ideas from this publication compare to what you are seeing in your organization?

Novartis: Culture, Curiosity and Scaling Learning

I appreciate finding and reviewing stories from organizations pursuing new ways of learning. Investigating and thinking about the experiences that others have is a great way to accelerate our own learning. A recent story that I’ve found is from Novartis; a large pharmaceutical company with over 125k employees across the world. Their corporate culture and values put curiosity and empowerment front and center. Building such a culture takes time, focus and investment – and there’s a few interviews and articles that I’ve found that speak to their efforts.

This interview with Vasant Narasimhan the CEO of Novartis has some great comments. I appreciate the focus on servant leadership, support, empowerment and the recognition of the need to move quickly.  Here are a couple of comments that particularly stood out:

• “…the inspired, curious, unbossed
  • “’I believe the future of companies is going to be about ideas coming from the bottom up,’ he explains. ‘We don’t need bosses. We need servant leaders. We need people to serve their teams and let their teams come up with the best ideas.’”
  • “’Every time Novartis needed to pivot in that long history, it pivoted,’ he says. ‘And this is a moment to pivot again. Pivot towards transformational innovation. Pivot the culture. Pivot towards data and digital technologies. And we need to do it fast because the world is moving really fast.’”

Simon Brown, the Chief Learning Officer at Novartis, has been sharing details about their learning initiatives (“Enabling 130,000 employees to grow in an organization committed to continuous learning”, “We’re going BIG on Learning at Novartis – here’s how…” and “In September we’re taking steps to be #Curious”). In these stories we hear about the focus on curiosity (#curiosity), the investment in learning, MOOCS, gamification, the use of VR, extended durations of learning experiences, connecting learning and work, scaling, and the many events focusing on curiosity. There isn’t a simple switch, poster on the wall or proclamation from up on high that is going to bring about the creation of a culture to support learning. Seeing the actions and activities underway reflects an alignment between intention and investment.

I’m thankful for the sharing from Novartis – getting insights on their reasoning, approaches and efforts. The sharing speaks to the culture they have and that they are trying to build. Looking forward, I’m keen to hear more about their efforts around informal and social learning, finding the right balance between “push” and “pull”, learning analytics (in particular – impact of their efforts), and the continued pursuit of a “…curious, unbossed culture.” I expect that these areas will be critical to success as they pursue scaling (both in terms of numbers of learners and frequency of learning).

What are your thoughts on the stories from Novartis? How do they compare to your thoughts and experiences?

Learning with MS Teams

I’m a fan of this video from MS Inspire 2019, where Dr. David Kellerman, discusses the use of MS teams along with some Azure based capabilities to enhance the learning experience for a large class at the University of New South Wales.

The talk highlights a smart use of technology that makes the learning more personal, more effective and more engaging. I especially appreciate how the solution learns about questions / answers and that students can engage with a system that continues to get smarter.

This is a great example of leveraging technology to support the effort to scale learning.

I had the chance to be part of a MS Teams experiment for an alternative delivery model for helping folks learn about Agile coaching. Our challenge wasn’t related to number of people (like the example in the video) – instead, our challenge was distribution and synchronicity (or lack thereof!). My collaborators in this effort: Bill (AgileBill) Krebs and Sue Reber were instrumental in making this all work. The approach we landed on was as follows:

• Leverage existing face to face content (approximately 18 hours of materials)
  • Stretch out the schedule – rather than trying to deliver over two days, deliver over 9 weeks
  • Connect live, via video each Friday afternoon.
  • Lead facilitator (Bill), created a video each work highlighting a “word of the week” – providing a theme and asynchronous interaction
  • MS Teams was used for the cohort to share learning, questions and interact as a group and with the facilitator. Provided a great way to explore ideas in between live (synchronous) sessions.
  • Each student was asked to create a learning portfolio – adding to it each week based on what they learn in class and what they learned trying to apply new concepts in their day-to-day efforts.

In future explorations, I’d like to connect this to chatbots leveraging AI/ML building on my previous efforts in mobile learning.

In wrapping up, how are you using MS Teams and/or Slack to further advance learning? Are you tying it to formal learning? Informal learning? A mix? And how are you integrating chatbots into the equation?

Teams FTW!

Today’s world moves so fast and is so complicated that we need to look beyond just the individual. Building good teams is a critical digital success factor. But, how can we build a “good” team? How do we learn to operate as a team? How do teams succeed in flatter organizations that focus on empowering the individual? There’s more to success than just asking a group of people to work together.

In Team-Based Analytics for Informal Learning (TAIL), I focused on social learning analytics, team competencies, team models (Agile / Scrum / Spotify), team maturity models (Tuckman), tooling (Slack / MS Teams, Github, Jenkins) and measures of success. The teamwork competencies are sourced from work by Vivian, Falkner, Falkner, & Tarmazdi (2016) and include: Team Orientation, Team Leadership, Communication, Monitoring, Feedback, Backup Behavior and Coordination.

With this background in mind, I was excited to see that Microsoft has partnered with IDEO to introduce a new guide titled “The Art of Teamwork.” To go along with the guide itself, they’ve also created a Guided Tour (which includes exercises, facilitator guidance and thought starters).

The guide opens with: “The secret behind successful teamwork lies in the ability to intentionally nurture and maintain healthy team dynamics.” This is a great place to start – great teams don’t happen by accident. There needs to be thoughtfulness, intent, and maintenance – to get value from teams, we need to invest. The core elements of the framework are: Team Purpose, Collective Identity, Awareness and Inclusion, Trust and Vulnerability, and Constructive Tension. These elements are then situated within the larger context of organizational culture and processes.

The guide is well written, has some stories to support concepts, and is thoughtful about how to support adoption of the framework. I’m looking forward to exploring and experimenting with the guide. I’d also like to hear your thoughts on the toolkit and developing great teams:

• What resources and approaches are you finding that best help you to develop strong teams?
  • How are you evaluating the impact of your teams?
  • How are you supporting the development and evaluation of “teams of teams”?
  • What do you see as the difference between cooperation and collaboration?

Welcome!

Welcome to the Digital Learning conversation! I’d like to invite you to join me in talking about Digital Learning in the corporate world. As mentioned on the main page, here’s a view on Digital Learning:

So, if “being” Digital is about embracing new ways of working, then Digital Learning is about embracing new ways of learning. In the past, we’d find that learning in organizations is centrally managed, hierarchical, formal and infrequent. Digital learning needs to be optimized to align with the needs, pace and operating model of the digital organization. Digitally mature organizations embrace the new ways of learning that are decentralized, democratized, informal, social, team-based, learner-driven, and continuous.

I’m hoping that we can chat about all things related to Digital Learning spanning people, process and technology. With this broad perspective we’ll be able to dig into topics such as culture, org structure, tools, experiences, frameworks, scaling, curiosity, metrics, leadership, maturity models, rewards, workspaces, distribution and the alignment with larger efforts for Digital Transformation.

Looking ahead, I’ll kick-off the conversation with some posts about teams, guidance on digital transformations (including learning), stories from industry and a look at publications and videos. Hopefully this allows us to explore new ideas, new stories and develop some new relationships.

Please reach out if you have suggestions on topics, questions or if you’d like to collaborate on a post.

I’m looking forward to the conversation and learning together!